Photo technique/style question

Stranger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When shooting parties (especially at bars) i see a lot of photos were the lights in the background are blurred indicating a slow shutter dragged, but the people are in perfect focus. Now i was shooting an event today and was trying to get this effect.

It brought me to shooting "slow" for the flash mode and i could get nice motion blur with a sharp picture but nothing nearly as clean as i see in some photos. Was also trying "slow rear" and it did not work out that well either.

This was done with my D200 and SB-600.. I do not have an example of these images but can someone please help me in learning this technique?

Thanks. I will look for examples if needed

I would need to see an example of the photos you're referring to, but one possibility is that they use a fast lens, such as a 50mm f1.4. That would provide a fast enough shutter speed to freeze the people, and a very shallow depth of field, which gives you that blurred background.

What lens are you using?

I have no clue why the author refers to rear curtain sync. NONE of his examples would benefit from it. One explanation of the benefit of slow sync is on the Nikon web site. Download the brochure for the SB-800 flash and go to the last page.

He does discuss slow sync at length but neglects to warn you that it might be too slow for hand-held photography. You would be better off using manual controls for a compromise, perhaps 1/30 of a second. Truthfully, I'm a bit turned off by the information on the site.

Thanks Guys..

That link was kind of helpful/

@Socrates - I noticed that i was only kind of getting the results i wanted when i shot around 1/6th or something that slow. I was trying to get speeds little quicker as it seemed to make it better. Didnt try to go that quick though GRRR. I will keep practicing though. I just know a guy over at DPReview who would have these perfectly sharp people with the nice trails in the background.

And to get that trail i am supposed to move the camera? We surely cant expect the lights to move hahaha

Thanks Guys..

That link was kind of helpful/

@Socrates - I noticed that i was only kind of getting the results i wanted when i shot around 1/6th or something that slow. I was trying to get speeds little quicker as it seemed to make it better. Didnt try to go that quick though GRRR. I will keep practicing though. I just know a guy over at DPReview who would have these perfectly sharp people with the nice trails in the background.

And to get that trail i am supposed to move the camera? We surely cant expect the lights to move hahaha

If you're talking about the rear curtain sync, the lights ARE moving.

Perfect, just what i ws looking for.. Thanks sir

Most reactions

Back