Photo-terrorist.....

Wow, this is great.
Cheers Sleepy, although I'm not sure if you meant the photo was great or the thread in general, eitherway thanks again:lol:
Great shot!

I too advise making up some business cards to hand out in such situations, being as friendly and open and honest as you can. Even if you give them a copy of the shot in question, it can lead to sales, word of mouth contacts from their friends, relatives and business acquaintances, and more sales.

Thanks Buckster! I appreciate the comment even more considering it came froma photo-genius like yourself:)
I have always wanted to make some business cards for myself but without a website to promote my work I don't think it would be nearly as effective. I have no idea how to go about creating a website for myself (I'm S**t with computers) and frankly don't have the funds to have a pro do it for me, but maybe one day.
Thanks again,
Dave

I like it. Too bad some people are so sensitive...
I have kids, and honestly, another photographer taking a picture of one of them wouldn't bother me so much.

Agreed. And good point! :thumbup:

If I knew they were a photographer I would feel a little easier than if they just started taking pictures. Might even ask them for a site where I could see their work. (Not something I would have done a month ago.)

You may want to get one of these to avoid these confrontations in the future:
photographer (not terrorist) Black T-Shirt - CafePress

Until I got TPF I didn't realize people took street shooting so seriously. Until I got to TPF I also didn't realize how much a good shot can say. I've literally "wow"ed out loud several times. :D

I like it. Too bad some people are so sensitive...
I have kids, and honestly, another photographer taking a picture of one of them wouldn't bother me so much.

You may want to get one of these to avoid these confrontations in the future:
photographer (not terrorist) Black T-Shirt - CafePress

Thanks O|||||||O, that shirt is great, I may just have to buy one.
You may not have reacted as harshly but isn't that because you yourself are a photographer? The average person walking down the street doesn't appreciate the merit in taking photographs of random children and I believe their initial disapproval to be entirely justified. I may not look like a sicko but there is every possibility that I am and the only justifiable reaction for a parent is to be worried. That said, if I were the parent I would probably have asked the photographer what they were doing before blowing up and calling him/her a perv.

Thanks bell. I expect nothing less, I've had guys cuss me out, swing at me and even ended up at a police station for 3 hours once dealing with a similar story. That's where I actually learned that what I was doing wasn't illegal.
Just because something is not illegal doesn't mean that is either polite or correct. I understand that you want to get a candid photo, but it must be done in a manner that respects concerns of the parents. Felix had some good ideas on handling the matter. However, if the parent said "No" you should respect that and walk away.

The shot is good by the way.

Thanks nealrm, like I've already mentioned I'm always as tactful, polite, and friendly as I can be when photographing people I don't know but I hardly ever ask for permission because as mentioned before this approach hardly ever works. You get unnatural smiles and poses most of the time when you ask in advance. If anyone has any problem with my taking their picture I always stop to explain what I'm doing and always offer to send them a copy. If this still isn't good enough for them I offer to delete the photo, and I've only done this once. The reason I've had people swing at me and I've ended up in a police station is because I was photographing people I shouldn't have been photographing, namely chavs(hooligans). Since then I have become a lot more tactful and better at discerning suitable subjects and encounters of the sort are a lot more rare. I always try to be as polite as possible but sometimes you have to step over some boundries to achieve a decent shot, just have a look at Bruce Gilden, "I have no ethics":

Last edited by a moderator:
What's a photo-terrorist? Someone who hijacks a plane by threatening to use a print to, um... give the pilot a papercut? :lol:

I find the use of hyperbole that people come up with to substitute intelligence to be disturbing.

I mean he doesn't know your not a pedophile and sadly we don't live in a world were every single random guy taking pictures of their young daughter walking down the street doesn't have strange a sick ideas abut it.
This logic is should be taken out back and shot.

We do live in a world where most men a normal human beings and a few are pedophiles. How many pedophiles are there on Earth? Probably in the thousands. How many adult men are there on Earth? A few billion. But, no, let's not pay attention to science and statistics, let's flat-out ignore it like paranoid morons.

Anyways, that is a nice shot OP. Maybe a little heavy on the feathering around the border, but it has a sense of innocence, loneliness, sadness ... it just communicates very well.

And, hey, I'm colourblind, too! :lol: Do you fail the blob test at the optometrist as badly as I do? ;)

EDIT: just watched that video ... wow, that guy is humorously obnoxious, but he certainly gets some great shots that way. I don't think I'd have the balls to do that.

Last edited:
yeah anyways..the photo is great.

That Bruce Gilden video never gets old. He really is bold and courageous because some of those people could have easily sued him for assault (here in the U.S.). Pointing a camera and flash that fast and that close at someone's face is considered assault here. There are such things as boundaries . . . but at least Bruce admits he has no ethics. :)

Most reactions

Back