Photoblog

mangtarn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am an amateur photographer and I do get some nice looking photos sometimes. Recently I started working with a newspaper and their professional photographers. I have noticed that they all have their photoblogs. kind of a like a journal with some photos attached to it. so i want to make one myself. any suggestions on what service i should use (wordpress.com, blogger)?
since im not trying to sell prints or attract clients (at the moment), i would like to keep it cost free.
thank you.

I would highly recommend Wordpress. My mom and I both use it - I used Blogger (Blogspot) for a while but switched because it was a huge pain in the butt to use, especially for photos. Wordpress has some really great, "professional" looking themes, and is free for the first 3gb of space. Space upgrades range from $20 to almost $300.00 a year, depending on how much space you want/need. Photos eat space for breakfast, words don't. But, there's a way around that... Use a hosting site - Flickr has the best compression without wrecking the photo, and it's only $25 a year for unlimited uploading - and use the link in Wordpress's photo embedding tool instead of uploading directly from your computer. It's a few more clicks, but definitely worth it: My mom has been blogging for about four years - she uses a ton of pictures - and she's only used about 10% of the 3gb.

If you need help setting up your blog, send me a PM and I'd be happy to help.

Look into 500px.com. It has both a portfolio for photos and a blog. The community is cool too. You can see mine at matthewsteinblock.com. I had a wordpress site and loved it, however there was no community or exposure, the only people that visited were the couple that happened to find me online.

i'm looking for something that lets me have a paragraph with around 8-10 photos per post. so i can pick some of the week's best shots and discuss it. i don't really want a complete photo only blog (i have deviantart). wordpress seem like an option but is free image hosting a pain in the neck to use? i used to use xanga back when i was in hong kong and it let me post photos right onto the blog. so now im confused about image hosting and just uploading to the blog.
has anyone heard of aminus3.com?

I would suggest WordPress. .org version, for more control.

I am also using WP (www.laineapineblog.com) and I am very happy with the site and all the actions, as well as with the level of intelligence of other people who interact, comment and so on. (Yes, here I am more thinking about the not-at-all serious """"blogging"""" thing that tumblr has created). WP blogs, if being under good upkeep, can give a very professional impression about the photographer.

so I would say: go WP!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back