Photographer for a day....

Hmmm.. thanks for the tip.

Is there anything special in a reflector? First thing that came into mind when I read your post was to try and use my automotive windsheild screen. The ones that block the sun out of your car when parked. It has a shiny reflective surface.

usayit said:
Hmmm.. thanks for the tip.

Is there anything special in a reflector? First thing that came into mind when I read your post was to try and use my automotive windsheild screen. The ones that block the sun out of your car when parked. It has a shiny reflective surface.

A reflector will produce detail and color to the eyes which are usually under exposed and void of color. A reflector would have really made a differrence in your shots, especially the shots of the brown-eyed model.

The windshield screen may impart a fill light that is too harsh or contrasty a/c of its aluminium texture. Sometimes a board draped with a white sheet will work. Other times just a plain white card which can be purchased at an art supply store will work. colored Reflectors are likely to impart unwanted hues to the subject. Sometimes a warm hue is disired. Imagination is your only limit.

I use a piece of foam core mounted on a tripod, but canonrebel has good ideas. You can also use a white shower curtain. This is nice because you can use it to either reflect light off of, or you can use it to difuse light when it shines through it.

In this shot, the light on the left side of her face is reflected off the foam core. The direct sun from behind acts like a hair light. Without the reflector, her face would be in complete shadow.

Jade1.sized.jpg

Most reactions

Back