Photographer from Australia

Wow,
There are certainly a few Aussies out there and guys that would like to be!!I could answer a lot of your questions, but answers generally have been pretty good. I may comment on keeping a note book on your exposures etc. Basically you need to learn what different apertures and shutter speed are are doing to your final result. As long as you understand the principles, you won't need a notebook. i.e. [1] Take a series of shots of a cars driving past at different shutter speeds and apertures, panning and not panning. Analalyze your results and that will help you understand shutter speeds.[2] take some close ups of flowers at different apertures and again analyze the results and you will start to understand depth of field.
Photography is a vast field and I have always said "A good photographer knows more about photography than a doctor know about the human body" Photography is a complex subject with a need to understand equipment and the changes brought about by digital imaging, understanding lighting,colour, effects of processing if using film, composition and much much more. But what an exciting profession it is. I've been doing it for over 50 years and have never lost the desire to learn new things. I notice Joel, you're also in Sydney, the greatest city in the world [now I'll start an argument from the Yanks] In the future we ought to arrange a meeting of fellow Aussies to compare notes. Philip.
www.philipweirphotography.com

http://
Joel said:
Oh cool! i get it now! is that measured from the mirror or film (or sensors?). or am i still not getting it haha.

i didnt understand for a bit there, but i took the lens off and looked in the back of it as i zoomed in and out. now i understand :D

thanks!

also that second question was just out of curiosity, i dont plan of focusing buy looking at the top of the lens. hehe...

ok i know im full of questions but i have another now, is 100mm zoom, 2x 50mm zoom. or does it not work in this way?

Here is a link for a good visual presentation on focal length of lenses (28mm vs 50mm vs 100mm etc..)

http://www.usa.canon.com/html/eflenses/lens101/focallength/index.html

Cheers

first of all melbourne kicks sydney up the you know where.
Anyway, you've got yourself a PERFECT beginners camera there. my advice on how to get started:
1. film, colour or black and white, both are good, goto your local film place, explain that you are a newb but you want a film that will get you good results, make sure they know you're not looking for crap like kodak max, but more medium level stuff.
2. shoot, usually you start off shooting everything, your family friends,your park, your street, your pets, but you eventually fall into a groove, like a bit of landscape a bit of street photography and a bit of friends, thats what im doing now ;)
3. develop, you should look around and find the best lab thats within your price range, i started off just gettng em developed with 4 by 6 inch prints, but often the prints are terrible and if you shoot black and white they are way to expensive. so my advice is get them to scan it if you can, just a basic medium resolution scan, but theyll be more true to thet negs.
4. (this is not really a step, you should always be doing it) learn, do anything you can to learn everything about photog, aperture, shutter, iso, sunny 16, black and white, colour, street, landscape, portraiture etc. books are a great way to do it.
5 enjoy

Another proud Aussie here and after Wed nights match, a very proud QUEENSLANDER- go the maroons!!!!!!!!!!!!
Im 'relatively' new to photography too and loving this site and all things photography! dont know anything about your camera (sorry) but find scouring the threads on this 'brilliant' site, reading heaps of books and photog magazines very helpful. just picked up a huge stack of mags at the big lifeline bookfest in bris - gotta love a bargain!!! xx

...Sydney, the greatest city in the world... by far!!

Another Australian here.

Most reactions

Back