Photographer intimidation

Interesting twist on the subject. Seems like a shame that cameras were battled and not images. Duds like the cancellations can produce some interesting shots. What did you take photos of?

mountainlander said:
not to mention the fact I was shooting film.....
Hey, don't be disrespecting film :x
But really, you should have been like this
"Yeah, I haven't liked a lot of canon's new cameras lately. They just don't do the job quite right. Canon is sending me a 1Ds MkII to win me back but until then I'm just using film, it gives me the higher quality that my images deserve."
Don't worry about cameras and lenses, they're not all that important.

craig said:
Interesting twist on the subject. Seems like a shame that cameras were battled and not images. Duds like the cancellations can produce some interesting shots. What did you take photos of?

There was a small carnival going on at the same time, so I got some night shots of the rides. We'll see how they turn out, the wind was bad enough that I was getting some tripod shake.

Let me be clear that the guys I met up with were very nice. But I did kind of feel like I was wearing jeans and sneakers to a black tie affair. LOL!!!

darin3200 said:
Hey, don't be disrespecting film :x
But really, you should have been like this
"Yeah, I haven't liked a lot of canon's new cameras lately. They just don't do the job quite right. Canon is sending me a 1Ds MkII to win me back but until then I'm just using film, it gives me the higher quality that my images deserve."
Don't worry about cameras and lenses, they're not all that important.
LOL, I wish.

craig said:
Excellent. I will bet that you made the most of the situation. You will know when you have reached the limitations of your gear. Until then keep shooting!

Thanks for the encouragement Craig.

So, how do you know when you've reached your equipment's limitation?

Is it when you master exposure? Is it when you can appreciate the difference in sharpness of lenses? Is it when you consistently turn out good images? When do you decide to make that next step up?

Showing up to an open mic or solo show, I would feel a bit anxious about opening up my guitar case -- I don't play a Martin or Gibson.

Of course, there was always the guy with the $2000 Martin who sounded awful. I liked showing up with a $100 beater and having people say, "Wow, that piece of sh-- sounds good!"

On the other hand, I understand that there can be instant gratification while playing music and none at all using a film camera.

To paraphrase Jack White of White Stripes (who plays an old Airline electric guitar he bought secondhand), why buy a Fender Stratocaster -- so you can sound like everyone else? ;)

MM

mountainlander said:
Thanks for the encouragement Craig.

Is it when you master exposure? Is it when you can appreciate the difference in sharpness of lenses? Is it when you consistently turn out good images? When do you decide to make that next step up?

That's a personal decision and deserving of a separate thread. Quality is the first concern. My step up was a very used 2 1/4 medium format camera. Then a 4x5 large format. Personally my work needed the quality of a larger neg as opposed to the connivence of 35mm.

My switch to digi was based on my commercial work. The clients money afforded me a nice (at the time) Nikon D1. Now that is all I shoot with.

mountainlander said:
...I have never seen so many 20D's and high priced glass in one place before, not even in a camera store!!!

I didn't even want to get my stuff out of my bag, what with my bottom end Rebel SLR and dreaded Quantaray lenses, not to mention the fact I was shooting film.....

Fly your freak flag high, brother!

I feel most sheepish when I'm one of the 20D crowd. I get a kick out of using a 50 year old film camera in a group of DSLRs.

Which way is up? A different camera won't elevate the photographer's skill. It's just another path the photographer can take. In most situations the limits of the photographer are reached long before the limits of the equipment. New gear is always lots of fun, but it's just gear; it tells you more about the photographer's financial status than how good of a photographer they are.

ksmattfish said:
Fly your freak flag high, brother!

I feel most sheepish when I'm one of the 20D crowd. I get a kick out of using a 50 year old film camera in a group of DSLRs.

I did pull out the 'MatG for a few shots, but I don't know if they realized what I was doing..... :lmao: :lmao:

Which way is up? A different camera won't elevate the photographer's skill. It's just another path the photographer can take. In most situations the limits of the photographer are reached long before the limits of the equipment. New gear is always lots of fun, but it's just gear; it tells you more about the photographer's financial status than how good of a photographer they are.

Yeah, I know, b/c I occasionally catch some really nice shots even with my cheap stuff. And I do find myself lusting after really fast lenses, b/c the possibilities just go up with a faster lens, they just make it easier to get the same shot in many situations. One less thing to have to worry about or compensate for. For me a MarkI would be overkill right now, but I do sometimes wish I had some nicer stuff. Come on graduation!!! LOL

mountainlander said:
And I do find myself lusting after really fast lenses, b/c the possibilities just go up with a faster lens, they just make it easier to get the same shot in many situations.

A fast prime should be cheap. No doubt that a good lens is pretty important, but good doesn't have to mean expensive, modern, cool, etc... ;)

I occasionally remind myself that I can get the shots, sometimes I just have to work a little harder.

That working a little harder is a big part of the challenge for me. If I shoot wildlife at 200 mm, I have to get closer than the guy with a 500 mm. If the other guy has IS equipment he has an easier time in low light, but I can still get a good shot.

Do I miss a few, yes. By the same token, there's always tomorrow.

deb said:
I occasionally remind myself that I can get the shots, sometimes I just have to work a little harder.

That working a little harder is a big part of the challenge for me. If I shoot wildlife at 200 mm, I have to get closer than the guy with a 500 mm. If the other guy has IS equipment he has an easier time in low light, but I can still get a good shot.

Do I miss a few, yes. By the same token, there's always tomorrow.
Id like to ad something ive noticed in my experience . The guy with te fast lenes and "top of the line" gear rushes in gets the pic they ting they want and thier done . People like me whos glass isnt as fast need to take a little more time to look around and fidn the best appraoch and lots of tiems ill notice shots i wast planing on takeing but turn out great that the other guy missed completely.

Most reactions

Back