Photographer killed in San Francisco robbery

People are the worst.

New cameras should be pin locked and the lenses should be paired with the serial of the camera via a computer when its purchased. Should only be able to be reset by the user who locked it.

Make it like a cell phone, cell phone theft has decreased dramatically since locking became the norm.

Sad that something like this has to happen for a little bit of camera gear. Terrible.

When I shoot in Detroit, I normally shoot film. I didn't this last time (XT2) and some guy asked me about my camera. I had all the names black gaffered taped off and he wasn't sure what kind it was. I said it was a thrift store film camera I bought for $2. He said do you want to sell it? I said no, I was shooting with it today. He went on his way. That just confirms, I'm shooting with film when in Detroit from now on. I was in a alley between buildings two shooting brick wall shots I recently posted.

When I shoot in Detroit, I normally shoot film. I didn't this last time (XT2) and some guy asked me about my camera. I had all the names black gaffered taped off and he wasn't sure what kind it was. I said it was a thrift store film camera I bought for $2. He said do you want to sell it? I said no, I was shooting with it today. He went on his way. That just confirms, I'm shooting with film when in Detroit from now on. I was in a alley between buildings two shooting brick wall shots I recently posted.
I've been asked for money when I was out and about. I've been told I have a nice camera. I've had several occasions with people staring me down, and seemingly very interested in my camera. People standing very, very close to me.

In all instances, I made sure to keep moving or let them know that I noticed them.

One time, my wife stopped to look at something, when I saw these two men walk past. One saw my camera (which was pretty well hidden by my side) and motioned to the other man. They then stopped right beside us, a little too close for comfort. I promptly told my wife that we needed to start walking away immediately. I don't know what their intentions were, but we were in a tourist-trap area in another country. I didn't want to take any chances with theft.

It's definitely good to be aware of your surroundings, to be with someone else, and to keep moving, if possible.

I've been asked for money when I was out and about. I've been told I have a nice camera. I've had several occasions with people staring me down, and seemingly very interested in my camera. People standing very, very close to me.

In all instances, I made sure to keep moving or let them know that I noticed them.

One time, my wife stopped to look at something, when I saw these two men walk past. One saw my camera (which was pretty well hidden by my side) and motioned to the other man. They then stopped right beside us, a little too close for comfort. I promptly told my wife that we needed to start walking away immediately. I don't know what their intentions were, but we were in a tourist-trap area in another country. I didn't want to take any chances with theft.

It's definitely good to be aware of your surroundings, to be with someone else, and to keep moving, if possible.
I hate when people ask for money because I would like to help them. I just politely say, sorry, I can't help you today. There are signs posted everywhere in Detroit, no panhandling but it is not enforced. Chicago is even worse, every corner but I don't see signs.

It was a sad occurrence that is a fact, but what about the other victims of violent crimes. A violent crime occurs in the US every 25.3 seconds.

And people think we just push a button...

I do that when I go overseas. I even put tape on lenses and bodies to make them appear roughed up some.

I tend to go for the blend in approach, no fancy clothes/shoes and no fancy camera bags or camera in my hand no tripods either, a 5p carrier bag with camera inside wrapped up casually and wander wherever, one lens attached, if I want a closer shot I walk closer, similarly a distance shot. I've never been bothered by anybody and I've travelled worldwide, when I see tourists with the latest gear hanging from their necks I always think 'mug'.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back