"Photographer" or "Digitographer?

OK, I've been through a roll of film now (Oooooo! Yeah, I know, a whole roll, big deal...) and I think I've found the definition for "digitographer".

If you use a digital camera, this does not necessarily make you a digitographer. Conversely, If you use film, this does not necessarily make you a photographer. If you take photos and know they are good because you know that they are well composed and properly metered for, you're probably a photographer. If you take pictures and hope they are good because you didn't bother thinking about composition or metering, you might be a "digitographer".

I fear I may have started as a digitographer, but I'm working my way to being able to know whether a photo is good without having to look at the LCD.

Yesterday, I went for a walk around town and took only 11 pictures. I considered 7 of them to be worth showing, which is a much better "keeper rate" then I've had most of the time.

Thoughts?

the same thing happened (on a large scale I believe) when guns were introduced - knights walked out at the ignoble thought of being forced to use such a weapon.

See, this just goes to show the futility in his statement. Some people will always be hesitant and fearful of new things, especially new technology. You have to admit you have something to learn when you approach a new technology, and some people are uncomfortable with that.

Maybe next time you encounter such a man, think to yourself, well this guy is obviously afraid of digital photography (or whatever it is) and then walk away with a laugh to yourself, or reassuring that it's his projection, not the truth.

Meh, if he wants to have a label to make himself feel more secure in his hobby/business, let him have it. Probably means that he isn't that good in the first place.

Our society has such a need to over-label things.

I've heard similar comments from these "pureists" who feel that anything done in Photoshop is cheating, its not real. Photoshop is the new dark room that allows for tweaks and such in your images before making them final. Similar to film and a dark room.

Just sounds like someone who doesn't want to upgrade his skills and isn't comfortable with computers.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back