Photographer Registration for Events???? Please Help!!

-Fiona-

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi

If someone could shed some light on this or advise I would be most grateful.

I plan to attend the Kite Surfing National Freestyle Titles as a freelance photographer for my own website and have found out that I will have to register to be allowed in the competition area.

See link
http://www.kitethri lls.com/National FreestyleTitles/ PhotographersReg ister/tabid/ 84/Default. aspx

Firstly I have no problem with the organisers trying to regulate the amount of people near where the action is. It's a safety issue, I understand that.

However, my sticking point is as a condition of registration I have to agree to provide copies of all image to Kitethrills to use to promote the sport of kitesurfing.

My questions are:
  • Is this common for organised events?
  • Could Kitethrills seek legal action if I don't provide all images to them and then post all the images on my website?
  • Is this a fair exchange of service? The event organisers allow to take photos of the action so you inreturn give them your work? Then who would have control over the images ie copywrite?
  • If this is common practice, surely this would under value your work as a photographer?
I'm very confused.

Thank you,
Fiona

Kite Surf Sessions www.kitesurfsession s.com

Or the fact thats its on a public beach you dont need to give them squat! You can say, yeah, you'll give them a few copies via e-mail but use LOW RES so if they try to print them they come out just ok, or simply give them decent ones providing they credit you for any publishing. Also give them a 'one time publication rights', so if they use the image more then once, they have to pay you or you can sue.....

Most reactions

Back