photographer start up

handydreams

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys,

I’m new to the forums and a beginner photographer too. I was reading thought the page a there is a lot of good information in here.

Here is my question.

I just order my Nikon D40 for start up. I will be taking picture from weddings, sweet sixteen, most will be inside. Now, what will be the best lens and best external flash?

Should I carry an external light ( like umbrella), or it should be ok with the external flash.

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate and sorry for my grammar or spelling, English is my second language

handydreams,

If you are serious about shooting weddings and other special events, then you may have made a mistake on your camera choice. Don't get me wrong you can shoot a wedding and have beautiful pictures with the D40, but any professional photographer would at least have the D80 but most likely will have a D200 or the expensive new D3.

I don't mean to come across rude, but from your post I would say you need to slow down and learn more about photography before you really start buying lots of gear.

Welcome to the forum.

I'm sure the D40 is perfectly capable of capturing great images, that's not a problem. A good quality lens will also help a lot.

If you plan to have people pay you money to shoot events like weddings, you will need to have backup equipment. At least two cameras, at least two flash units, at least two lenses (need not be the same)...and the list goes on and on.

I agree. You'll need to learn a lot about lighting and photography in general before you can startcharging people for your work. People hire professionals because they know more than their son, daughter, sister, Uncle etc. about how to capture an event. Just because you bought a DSLR does not mean you arew ready to start charging. How much experience do you have with photography? Also in a quickly changing enviorment like a party you will want all the controls at your fingertips, with the D40 you find youself having to go into the menus to change certain options. that time may cost you a great shot. Also when shooting parties your going to want two cameras for two reasons. If one malfunctions your going to need a backup and second you'll want to dedicate one camera to a wide lens and another to a zoom, changing lenses will cost you good shots as well.

Thank you all for the respond.

I don’t have that experience as a photographer; I usually have experience as a videographer. That is what I currently doing as a part time. So, I was thinking of taking picture too, but because I don’t have that experience that why I don’t spend that much money on the camera and I just want to give it a try.

Some people tell me that videographer is different from photographer. But I still want to give it try it and see how it feel like.

Thank again for your help.

Videography and Photography are two completely different fields. No offense, but if you are getting paid to do someones wedding, buying an entry level SLR and "giving it a try" is NOT the way to do it. Weddings are WAY too important to mess up. If you are serious about learning, then practice with the camera on other subjects and events. Learn the camera and read Alot. I apologize for being blunt sometimes it just needs to be said.

Videography and Photography are two completely different fields. No offense, but if you are getting paid to do someones wedding, buying an entry level SLR and "giving it a try" is NOT the way to do it. Weddings are WAY too important to mess up. If you are serious about learning, then practice with the camera on other subjects and events. Learn the camera and read Alot. I apologize for being blunt sometimes it just needs to be said.

Thank you, that what I’m to be doing, get some practice with the camera, taking picture for fun, play around. Until I feel I’m ready for this. Thank you for your comment, and for sure, you will hear more questions from me, lolThank you

Most reactions

Back