Photographer to Photographer interaction

I think it has a lot to do with giving away "trade secrets". Why is it with photography people expect people to give away their innermost techniques and settings?

If the guy who owned Hershey's walked up to the owners of Ghiradelli and asked for their trade secret, he'd be laughed at ;)

I'm all for helping and encouraging people to learn the art of photography, but as a professional - I'm also about protecting the information that puts food on the table for me ;) It puts food on the table BECAUSE it's unique.

You have simply asked the wrong question. Everyone's shooting style is different. Why should you care what another photographer is shooting with?

As you gain experience you will understand which questions are important. You will also understand that some photographers feel that they are god's gift to photography. Most are willing to help once you get beyond the gear envy stage.

Love & Bass

I think everyone's missed a crucial point.

These people may not be rude. They may not be snobby. They probably couldn't care less about trade secrets.

Ever considered that for quite a lot of them this is their job and they hate it? You may like to talk because it's your hobby, but I put up with the same kind of engineers at work, where 30 years in the industry means they just really would rather be doing anything other than engineering. My sister young and bright eyed started working at a law firm talking to everyone only to get a grumpy grunt from several of the lawyers saying "Don't under estimate how much I hate my job" :lol:

If you want friendly talkative photographers, join your local club. You'd be surprised to find that the club is strangely void of any "professionals".

I'm actually a little more perturbed by the overly helpful than the arrogent douchbags.

When I walk up or are approached by another camera weilding madman, I like to keep the conversation limited to respectful banter, I mean something like "Watchya shootin?"..."Vivitar 400mm 5.6 onm the C/FD mount" "You might want to look into the "Canon FD 400mm f/4.5, it has better glass than that Vivitar and it's faster too" or "Get any good shots today" "No" "Oh, to bad I got some good ones". That is all fine and well, I'll do that every day of the week, but when you start this "Still shooting film I see...digital has this, this and these advantages over film.....you wanna see what the modern 400mm looks like.....here look through my camera and see for your self the difference...."...Get the hell away from me, seriously.

I mean seriously, do you really thing you are going to influence the decision (that's already been made mind you) of some random photographer by shoving a dSLR with a flat battery and an 80-400 on it into his hands...I wanted to punch that clown. I wanted to punch him after he reapproached us out side the grocery store just to shove that camrea in my hands ten minuets after I told him I had to get moving because I had frozen food in my hands.

I've never had anyone come up to me at my day job and ask me while I'm doing DB programming and ask me how much I like programs like Access and Oracle. If they did, I'd probably ignore them because I was busy.

I take photos for pleasure and live in Mexico. I've considered this thread from both sides. I never talk to a professional photographer when he's working. Sometimes I do when there's a break or when I meet them at the photo shop. A sure-fire ice breaker is the tax on new DSLR cameras here. It's horrible. As with pipefitters, teachers, or police officers some are pleasant and some aren't.

On the other hand, occasionally other photographers will want to strike up a conversation with me. I usually enjoy it but if what they want to talk about why I should be using whatever camera they're using, I shut them off quickly. It's a waste of my time.

Ever considered that for quite a lot of them this is their job and they hate it?

I think Garbz nailed it. Often, the worst thing you can do to a hobby is turn it into a profession. If you managed to turn a hobby into a profession and continue to enjoy it after several years, congrats because you are fortunate...

I would never assume that ANYONE would want to carry on a conversation but I do assume that it's their right to make that decision. I'll make some innocuous but courteous comment like "Good morning!" or "Nice day, today." or "Wow, it's really crappy out." Further conversation from me (if any) depends on the response that I get (if any).

Thanks for your answers guys.

Ok, maybe I come off as some rank amateur photo-geek (which, in fact, I am) to the hard line pros. But like I said, I NEVER approach them if I think they are even remotely doing their job.

While I don't think it's any excuse for them being arrogant pricks, I appreciate more what may be going through their minds when some "wide-eyed" novice wants to ask a question or two about their craft.

I totally understand what you pros are saying when it comes to disliking when some idiot with a D40 wants to "talk shop." Although I'm not an idiot and I don't have a D40 (D90, actually):lmao:.

Thanks for putting things into perspective a bit.

Mostly it's just annoying having people come up to you while you're working and asking questions or making comments. I absolutely cant stand it when a person with a D40 walks up to me while I'm shooting and says something like "That's a big camera you got there. Whatcha shooting?"

To the person asking it may not seem like much, but the photographer who is asked that same question10 times every time they are in public it gets old quick.

I normally smile, give a fake chuckle and answer what they ask, but you can't expect that from everyone.

Also, if you walk up and ask what their settings are you're never going to get respect from them. That's just the way it is. While photography does have a limited number of settings to use(albeit a pretty wide range still), that's much like asking a master chef what his secret recipe is. If you're not good enough to figure it out on your own, the chef isn't going to tell you.

Sorry to be so blunt about it.

Having dealt with it, I agree with this 100%.

Ever considered that for quite a lot of them this is their job and they hate it?

If you want friendly talkative photographers, join your local club. You'd be surprised to find that the club is strangely void of any "professionals".

Garbz, I hope the first part I'm quoting is a joke. I'm sure there are some photogs who hate their job, it can happen in any profession, but "quite a lot," I don't know where you get that from but I have never met one. I have met photographers who got tired of one type of photography and switched to something else. I was one of those, I got tired of bodies. A friend worked for NG, got tired of never being home and went to commercial.

I can see someone having a bad day and saying something to the effect that they hate fooking photography, but that doesn't really mean they hate it. I mean, who hasn't had a bad day "at the office"?

As for the second part I'm quoting, who wants to spend the evening talking about what they do all day, about work? Just look at this forum. From what I read and have been told, a lot of more advanced members have left. Why is that? Half the questions here (and I'm being nice) can be answered by "read the manual" or "read the book." We read them, why can't you?

I'm actually a little more perturbed by the overly helpful than the arrogent douchbags.

When I walk up or are approached by another camera weilding madman, I like to keep the conversation limited to respectful banter, I mean something like "Watchya shootin?"..."Vivitar 400mm 5.6 onm the C/FD mount" "You might want to look into the "Canon FD 400mm f/4.5, it has better glass than that Vivitar and it's faster too" or "Get any good shots today" "No" "Oh, to bad I got some good ones". That is all fine and well, I'll do that every day of the week, but when you start this "Still shooting film I see...digital has this, this and these advantages over film.....you wanna see what the modern 400mm looks like.....here look through my camera and see for your self the difference...."...Get the hell away from me, seriously.

I mean seriously, do you really thing you are going to influence the decision (that's already been made mind you) of some random photographer by shoving a dSLR with a flat battery and an 80-400 on it into his hands...I wanted to punch that clown. I wanted to punch him after he reapproached us out side the grocery store just to shove that camrea in my hands ten minuets after I told him I had to get moving because I had frozen food in my hands.

Wow! Douche-bags and camera wielding madmen... Ever wondered if your attitude doesn't create the situation? "This guy wants to talk to me although he thinks I'm a douche-bag... Guess I'll prove him right..."

Later in your post, you want to punch some other clown. Why is it that your banter is alright but not his? Talking about gear is fine so long as we're not talking about why you still shoot film? I hate to tell you but most pros (and I say most because I don't like making sweeping generalizations), most pros friends of mine could not care less about gear. They got the gear that would do the job, end of story. Not the best gear according to the 200 reviews and tests that have come out? Who cares? IT DOES THE JOB !

I think the biggest misunderstanding here is that on one side you have amateurs (hobby) and pros (job) on the other. Amateurs do not have to get the photo. Yes they will be sorry if they miss it but it's not going to make any difference in the grand scheme of life.

Pros have to get the photo. And they may look like they are taking a rest but are you sure that's what they're doing? Just leave them alone.

If you attend a criminal trial and you see the defense lawyer reclining in his chair, do you assume he is resting and do you go ask him why he doesn't do this or that for his client facing the death penalty just because you've watched all the Perry Mason shows? I don't think so.

By the way, when I needed advice on gear I had to get, I always called my amateur friends first :lmao:

heh quite a lot of views here - so here is another from a nutter ;)

Myself i have to say I have been quite fortunate with meeting other photographers in that most I meet are at organised events - so most are expecting to chat and deal with other humans around. And I have to say the majority I have met have been very pleasant people, often fully willing to share some details of what they have done/how they do it.

When I have met random photographers most times its them approaching me (seriously it does not matter what lens you have on - go and attach a speedlite and a softbox and everyone wants to know what it is ;) ) and most times I am quite happy to chat with them about things. I'm often not really in any pressure to get the shots - though if something interesting happens you can bet the talk will stop and the shutter will click - that is part of talking to photographers as far as I am concerned.

As for the pros vs amateurs parts - well I would say neither shot is more or less important than the other. Sure maybe the amateur won't make a penny of the shot - do we measure all in life by that - if you do then I feel sorry for you to measure life by that way. And in the great scheme of things - well to quote Zark Arias - "We're not curing cancer with a camera - We're just paying rent".
but after that is said if I see a person shooting or working (pro/amateur whatever) I'm not about to pester them for info or for a chat.

I think it has a lot to do with giving away "trade secrets". Why is it with photography people expect people to give away their innermost techniques and settings?

If the guy who owned Hershey's walked up to the owners of Ghiradelli and asked for their trade secret, he'd be laughed at ;)

I'm all for helping and encouraging people to learn the art of photography, but as a professional - I'm also about protecting the information that puts food on the table for me ;) It puts food on the table BECAUSE it's unique.

to my view there is nothing unique about apertures, shutter speeds and ISOs. Telling someone how you shoot won't make them as good a shot as you at all - nor how you get a specific effect in a shot. What many pros are selling is not just the skill with the camera (which is more than just understanding, its experience as well) but also the image - the moment - that they capture. That is a part (And often from the view of the client the biggest part) of what a pro is being hired for.

I have met many a pro fully willing to share their secrets and a few who are not - either way they only got where they did by learning (often from others) so if they got there then so can I. What does it matter if they or another teaches me or just gives that single hint/comment that leads me down the right line? Heck infact there are often many lines to the same end result in photography.

Although I can understand that many people are not so willing simply to share their info to every person who asks - else they would never have any time to do anything else. And whilst many might (in good faith) ask they might not take the lessons away and use them at all. So I can fully understand a person wanting another to prove that they are worthy to teach (payment/dedication/etc...)

"We're not curing cancer with a camera - We're just paying rent".

Absolutely true. Pros are not curing cancer but is the amateur going to pay my rent? Maybe you are too young to understand but a roof over my family's head is darn important to me. So yes, I'll repeat, the pros photo is more important.

Unless, of course, your pleasure is more important than my family's roof :er:

Ahh but relaxation achivement are also key things to people as well - so the amateurs shot won't earn cash or pay for a roof but it can achive other things for that person.

Still lets not get sidetracked - simply put I think is that to the person holding the camera the shot is always important. It's just good to remember that there are also other important things out there too.

Regarding the pros haing their job, no one asking a database programmer what they're doing, or unhappy lawyers ... I'm an astronomer (planetary geophysicist, astrophysicist ... whatever you want to say). I get people asking me about my job all the time. What I do. If I like it. Did I hear the latest on [insert news item]. What do I think of [insert news headline that was way wrong]. Etc. Maybe it's just a difference in career, but I like to do the public outreach and talk with folks and have them ask questions. Maybe y'all should've chosen a job you like more. ;)

Most reactions

Back