Photographer to Photographer interaction

They got the gear that would do the job, end of story. Not the best gear according to the 200 reviews and tests that have come out? Who cares? IT DOES THE JOB !

There are so many people that get way too hung up on gear, it's almost as if they'd rather play with the "toys" than make an actual image. Photos - the good ones - are all about story, or a moment. Tell me the story about your images, and I'll listen with rapt attention. Tell me what settings you used and why, and I'll be hoping you'll be getting to the story behind your photo soon :lol:

I'm not a full-time pro for the moment, but I can tell you that I abuse my gear sometimes, couldn't care less about the 50D (I have a 40D), nor the newest version of the 580EX... Only when I feel that I need a new accessory or piece of equipment will I give that side of things any attention.

I'm actually a little more perturbed by the overly helpful than the arrogent douchbags.

When I walk up or are approached by another camera weilding madman, I like to keep the conversation limited to respectful banter, I mean something like "Watchya shootin?"..."Vivitar 400mm 5.6 onm the C/FD mount" "You might want to look into the "Canon FD 400mm f/4.5, it has better glass than that Vivitar and it's faster too" or "Get any good shots today" "No" "Oh, to bad I got some good ones". That is all fine and well, I'll do that every day of the week, but when you start this "Still shooting film I see...digital has this, this and these advantages over film.....you wanna see what the modern 400mm looks like.....here look through my camera and see for your self the difference...."...Get the hell away from me, seriously.

I mean seriously, do you really thing you are going to influence the decision (that's already been made mind you) of some random photographer by shoving a dSLR with a flat battery and an 80-400 on it into his hands...I wanted to punch that clown. I wanted to punch him after he reapproached us out side the grocery store just to shove that camrea in my hands ten minuets after I told him I had to get moving because I had frozen food in my hands.

Wow! Douche-bags and camera wielding madmen... Ever wondered if your attitude doesn't create the situation? "This guy wants to talk to me although he thinks I'm a douche-bag... Guess I'll prove him right..."

Later in your post, you want to punch some other clown. Why is it that your banter is alright but not his? Talking about gear is fine so long as we're not talking about why you still shoot film? I hate to tell you but most pros (and I say most because I don't like making sweeping generalizations), most pros friends of mine could not care less about gear. They got the gear that would do the job, end of story. Not the best gear according to the 200 reviews and tests that have come out? Who cares? IT DOES THE JOB !

FYI, the phrase camera wielding madmen was made in jest as that is what I refferr to my self as.

No, it's not mt attitude that creates this. If it where I would have no positive photographer to photographer interactions. This is not the case, one such interaction was posted here. Granted I did not go into the entire conversation in that thread but the whole shootin match went over well, we both walked away from each other after that fifteen to twenty minuet conversation on good terms. On top of that there is another guy who wants to sit and talk shooting spots with me all day long, Even if I am busy I'll stand and chat with the guy for a wile because I know he only wants to learn.

When I am approached I keep a friendly demeinor. I have no problems talking about equipment, but when a person literally insults your decision to shoot film and insist that their way and equipment is better, completely disregarding the resons given, it is time to end the conversation. When he continuse to follow you around the grocery store and literally chase you down again in the parking lot to continue insulting your chioce in photography equipment...the bastard is luckey I did not rip him out of that van. I ended that conversation three times, if you are not going to respect my decision I'm not going to talk to you. It's not the conversation about why I'm shooting film or even phrased why don't I shoot digital...I've had that conversation thousands of times, never once before that had I felt insulted during such a conversation.

Persistance is not the key here, Patients is, when you keep pushing and prodding to talk photography to some one, they are going to have an issue and look down on you. This applies to amatures and pros alike, if they don't want to talk about the camera, don't talk about the camera. I'm sorry but, that big black box you sling over your shoulder is a magnet for conversation. When you approach a photographer with his/her camera out you should generally approach it as though they have had whatever conversation you want to have thousands of times. If you really want to talk cameras, put your self in close proximity, let them see you take a few shots and see if they ask what you are shooting, if they don't ask, don't bother them.

"FYI, the phrase camera wielding madmen was made in jest as that is what I refferr to my self as." OMG you are a nut case like me. I too have lovely nutty ways of referring to myself. But i don't use them in forums because I figure, with the tone of voice, the inflection missing, nobody will get it. :lol:

So anyway, I misunderstood what you were saying. Sorry. Plus I was talking about amateurs approaching pros. Amateurs approaching amateurs, I don't see the problem. One guy approaches another, says something. If there's no response from guy 2, guy 1 should know to walk away. If there is a response, great, they can have a chat. No problem.

"When you approach a photographer with his/her camera out you should generally approach it as though they have had whatever conversation you want to have thousands of times. If you really want to talk cameras, put your self in close proximity, let them see you take a few shots and see if they ask what you are shooting, if they don't ask, don't bother them." This is a very good and simple way to handle the problem outlined in the original post. And it works great when you're not sure if the photographer is amateur or pro. Let him make the decision.

Amateurs approaching pros is a problem although, the way I see it, it should be very simple. If a pro has cameras hanging around his neck, we should assume he is working and leave him alone. At least, at football games and things like that. In my line of photography it would not have bothered me that much but it never happened because the only time I worked in public was when covering wars. Between watching for the shots to get and dodging bullets and other calamities, people don't really take much time to chat about gear. And there are no amateurs around anyway. If there are, you're in the wrong place :D

"When I am approached I keep a friendly demeinor. I have no problems talking about equipment, but when a person literally insults your decision to shoot film and insist that their way and equipment is better, completely disregarding the resons given, it is time to end the conversation. When he continuse to follow you around the grocery store and literally chase you down again in the parking lot to continue insulting your chioce in photography equipment...the bastard is luckey I did not rip him out of that van. I ended that conversation three times..."

Frankly, somebody like that I would have quickly asked if he was going to stop harassing me or if I needed to call the cops... I do not have any patience with this kind of person.

The reason I understand the problem for a pro although I was never bothered myself is because I had a very similar problem when I worked in music. I am an audio engineer and I used to do concerts. When you do major concerts, you are away from the crowd on a platform but when you work smaller shows, you are most often right in the middle of the crowd. Believe me, it gets extremely annoying when you have to repeat "excuse me, I'm working, can't chat" 50, 70 times a night. :grumpy:

"I'm an astronomer (planetary geophysicist, astrophysicist ... whatever you want to say). I get people asking me about my job all the time. What I do. If I like it. Did I hear the latest on [insert news item]. What do I think of [insert news headline that was way wrong]. Etc. Maybe it's just a difference in career, but I like to do the public outreach and talk with folks and have them ask questions. Maybe y'all should've chosen a job you like more."

astrostu, if you want to buy me a drink after the show, I'll be happy to chat but don't bother while I work. I don't really know what an astronomer does but if you can work and chat at the same time, great. When I'm behind a mixing board, sorry, I can't talk. I've got too much too pay attention to. When a photographer is on the side of the field, I easily imagine he has to keep a close eye on the game if he wants to get the shots that matter and doesn't need any distraction from someone who wants to chat.

It has absolutely nothing to do with liking your job. But everything with doing your job.

Wow, this has been kind of an interesting read. I will throw in a point or two from a different perspective. I have been shooting most of my life. I do not earn an all my income from it but like to do it anyway. I started holding lights and reflectors for my dad who was a wedding photographer as well as doing fine art stuff. We used medium format and started with a speed graphic camera. Now that should start to date me. You took maybe 200 shots at the whole wedding with that set up. You worried about background and lighting and exposure and DOF and could not really see till you got home and developed it yourself. Now,digital is the same. You develop it yourself but you can get some instant feedback too. I like both styles but that is not the discussion.

I was at a friends wedding with my dad and mom. THe friends getting married was the youngest son of my moms best friend. They hired a photographer but also asked us if we would take a few shots too. Then at the wedding they introduced us. Wow, you should have seen the guys face. After the friend left I said to them, "you guys make a living doing it so we will not get in the way and just forget about us." My dad said I know and have been there.

SO at the wedding I sat in my seat in the church and dad took his seat but on the opposite side. It was our church so we knew the lighting and they did not care if we used flashes. I got probably two or three shots that the photographs could not get due to positioning and knowing the couple. They were very close to a couple family members and I could get the bride and the family member in the shot as she walked down the isle and was a smile fest. No huge deal. At the reception about half way through we had positioned our selves on the other side of the dance floor but it was an outside wedding in a tent. They opened the sides after the rain stopped. I had the couple dancing on a nice green background of the grass and the woods and nice bokha too. It was then that I looked down and say I had taken about 100 shots total. It was pretty funny. We then had a brake in the action for a while. THe photographer and his assistant came over to say hello and compare. THey both laughed and said we had better shots on a couple of them than they did. I said not better maybe but different. Then we said that dad had been doing this for 50+ years and me for about 40. We said there are a few old style posed shots if you would like to get the couple and you can take them down to the lake and there is a swan there. THey said wow how do you know. I said we are not paid to take 4000 shots and we walked around and saw it and was going to suggest it too you first.

They were very happy that we did and they set it up and said to the couple it was our idea and invited us to take a few shots with them. We said after they were done with the light we would take one or the eyes would be all over.

It was an interesting night. At the end I took a couple shots of the tent all lit up. I went to the reception in my motorhome and had my tripod. I showed them the shot and said they could have it if they wanted. It was on a second CF and they could download it into the drive right there.

I got a job offer to shoot with them next time and they asked if my dad would do it too. I said I would not think he would as he is 80 years old now and if they needed a third every once in a while let me know but two can usually handle most of the weddings or if the second was sick I could fill in. I like to take pictures but working is much harder than taking pictures and I travel a bunch too. I guess talking to the guy and being helpful works both ways. I was not in competition with him so did not really care if I told him anything. I was not saying you do not know anything but the venue was a private backyard and it was a friend of the grooms and they had no chance to scout it first.

The last thing I found but was too late was that the guy had a tree house you could live in. There couple were going to spend the night there that night. No one told us till it was 8pm. I said I do not think one light will work.

We had the couple up there and they took a couple shots. I had gone back to the motorhome and took out my travel light kit. I went back and asked if they wanted to shoot one more. I set up the lights as best as we can and used the Nikon CLS to light the tree house and the inside of it and the tress. It was a bit harsh outside as it was totally dark but the inside of the tree house was great. I think they will have a good memory of it but that would have been a great daylight picture.

Generally speaking you'll find photographers tend to be pretentious arseholes. I noticed it years ago.

Generally speaking you'll find photographers tend to be pretentious arseholes. I noticed it years ago.

Change your attitude towards them and you most probably will see theirs change too. :D

Btw, from talking to some of the better photogs who don't contribute here anymore, it is mostly attitudes like yours that have driven them off. If you don't care about learning, it is fine. But if you are interested in learning, it is obviously a problem.

i work full time with photography. mostly press conferences and such. obviously, there are many times that a lot of photographers are shooting the same event and it gets awkward having 10+ people shuffling around the room and what not. my advice, keep the convo to a minimum, get your job done, and talk afterward if you really feel you have something to discuss.

a lot of photographers become a bit more self concious when they know that another pro may be observing their technique, and I think it makes them a lot more defensive in general. it's actually pretty understandable.

Change your attitude towards them and you most probably will see theirs change too. :D

Btw, from talking to some of the better photogs who don't contribute here anymore, it is mostly attitudes like yours that have driven them off. If you don't care about learning, it is fine. But if you are interested in learning, it is obviously a problem.

:lol: so it was me who scared everyone off was it? thanks for letting me know!

I've worked for newspapers and magazines over the years and I meet a lot of Pro Photogs and they are a bit snobbish to say the least.

To be fair it's not just photographers. You get it through most of the creative arts world... I think it just comes with the territory.

so it was me who scared everyone off was it? thanks for letting me know!

I've worked for newspapers and magazines over the years and I meet a lot of Pro Photogs and they are a bit snobbish to say the least.

To be fair it's not just photographers. You get it through most of the creative arts world... I think it just comes with the territory.

Not quite what I said but if that is how you prefer to understand it, that's your deal.

Now, I have worked on both sides of the fence as I worked in the printing industry for a few years and, yes, I have rolled my eyes at creative types coming in with 4-6 color designs wanting 250 business cards... long before the present technology which allows such things.

But I have never met anywhere near enough of the snobbish artists that you talk about to make such a general statement as you did. I can only repeat, change your attitude...

Generally speaking I'll find photographers tend to be pretentious arseholes towards me. I noticed it years ago.

That needed a little fixin' there. :meh:

I was the n00best of the n00bs for years walking around tracks doing interviews and taking decent picts with my Sony Cybershot, and I've watched the "pros" interact many many times. I didn't see any of what you described. They were even cool when I started rubbing elbows with them, practically :drool:ing all over their equipment, asking bone-headed questions, watching where they stood and what the took pictures of, ooohing and aaahhing when I'd hear their shutters firing several times a second as I wait for my 2 seconds between shots.
:lmao:
c.cloudwalker's absolutely correct. You just need to change your attitude towards people and you'll see a completely different side of humanity.

Seems like some people just don't want to talk to others. I understand that you shouldn't bother them while they're taking photos but if I were pro and asked the same question over and over I would still be nice to the person asking it. You just never know who you're meeting. All people want to do is making some simple small talk it's not like they would be asking me to give them my life for there cat or something.

can only repeat, change your attitude...

Yes Sir

Generally speaking I'll find photographers tend to be pretentious arseholes towards me. I noticed it years ago.

Thanks for proving my point. ;p

Your point, sir, sits squarely on top of your head. (A hat might help cover it up. A tall, pointy hat.)

Honestly, not being rude here, but you almost always get what you give. (I always give what I get, so you shouldn't be surprised that you're getting treated like a turd) Sounds like you catch a lot of **** for a reason. Judging from your 2,600+ posts and not being thanked even once I'd have to conclude that yes, the point has been made and is highly accurate. :mrgreen:

can only repeat, change your attitude...

Yes Sir

Thanks for proving my point. ;p

Your point, sir, sits squarely on top of your head. (A hat might help cover it up. A tall, pointy hat.)

Honestly, not being rude here, but you almost always get what you give. (I always give what I get, so you shouldn't be surprised that you're getting treated like a turd) Sounds like you catch a lot of **** for a reason. Judging from your 2,600+ posts and not being thanked even once I'd have to conclude that yes, the point has been made and is highly accurate. :mrgreen:

I was trying to figure out a nicer way to say it, but is there?

Most reactions

Back