"Photographer"

explody pup

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Probably a tired old subject, if so, then let this thread sink.

I was visiting some friends lastnight (pot luck dinner, I made pierogis, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm...) and met a few new people. I was screwing around with my camera and was asked by one of them if I'm a photographer. I use my standard "sometimes I pretend to be" answer and my ever-supportive friends chime in that yeah, I am a photographer.

This is flattering, I'll admit, but I can't agree with them. I may use a camera, but that doesn't mean I'm a photographer. Same way someone who builds a bird house isn't really an engineer, or someone who balances a checkbook isn't really an accountant. But I am, admittedly, a freak about semantics. The only way I would call myself a photographer is if I made a living at photography. That's where I personally draw the line. I'm simply not a photographer. I'm a chemist. That's how I pay the bills and buy the food. I'm a chemist who likes to take photographs.

Anyhow, what do you fine folks think?

I agree. Photography seems to draw that line of thinking a lot. Another common field is painting (House type). A lot of people who pick up a brush think they are painters.

Being a photographer is a state of mind. I have known quite a few people who took pictures for a living but I wouldn't have described them as photographers.

Since I gallery sit every Saturday at a photography gallery, I too often get asked if I'm a photographer. I usually stumble through something like, well kinda, I just do it for myself, blah blah...

Websters says that a photographer is...
One who practices, or is skilled in, photography.

Sure you're a photographer, it's just what kind of photographer are you?

amateur
professional
landscape
sports
journalist
product
portrait
street
and on and on.

I agree with ksmattfish. A photographer is someone who takes photos. It's just a matter of what kind of photographer you are.

I just draw the line between amateur and professional. Professionals do it for a living, making 100% of their income from it (or try to). Amateurs do it all for fun and are still allowed to make a few bucks here and there (some state tax laws require you to make more than 50% of you earned income from a specific field before being able to qualify yourself as a 'professional' to attain the writes off's)

Maybe tune the "pretend photographer" up a few notches and say "I play one on the weekends".......................

Ahhhhh... well yeah this makes a lot more sense than my rigid definition. :oops:

mal, what states is that? I plan to write stuff off for photography since I plan to do it for a career, but it probably wont be 50% or more of my income for the first while unless im lucky. :0)

GerryDavid said:
mal, what states is that? I plan to write stuff off for photography since I plan to do it for a career, but it probably wont be 50% or more of my income for the first while unless im lucky. :0)

Talk to an accountant. As I understand it, the IRS wants taxes filed if you make as little as $400 a year (not that I think folks who make that little are worrying about it), so I think their definition of "professional" is anyone making any money. There is more information on how they decide whether you are a "hobbyist" or in business at the IRS website.

What you can write off, how you can write it off, and when you can write it off varies. I visited irs.gov and quickly realized that I wasn't really interested in figuring out their complicated and arcane tax laws. Some of the paragraphs actually hurt to read. I talked to a tax guy who recommend some tax software, and then he's going to help me get the best refund possible. It costs a little, but it's a bargin to avoid the headache.

Yup, all the government forms, tax forms, etc, are very hard to understand and take forever and a day to read......the first page. :0) Its going to be fun filing for the first morgage, its the same situation, hehe.

Right now I have an accountant that does that stuff for me and he's reasonably priced. But when I move, I dont konw if Ill be able to find a trustworthy accountant that doesnt cost an arm and a leg. And since Ill be doing stuff on the side, itll make the tax process that much more complicated. I was thinking of going with Quicken but the business version is EXPENSIVE and so is the personal version, but not as bad. I wonder if the personal version lets you do some business stuff on the side.

If you're doing business, you need to file a DBA or a sole proprietorship/partnership form at your local county clerk's office. This is THE legal way to get started. Do that, get your forms, and the form tells you specifically which IRS forms you are responsible for. Save all receipts. Start learning Quickbooks. Being a pro photographer means being 50% photographer and 50% small business manager.

your lawyer, photographer, and pal,
Matt

You also need to be honest with your insurance companies. If you have an accident in your car and your insurers find out you were using it for business purposes and hadn't told them then they tend not to pay up (Insurance companies seem to spend most of their time and effort trying to find ways not to have to pay out...).
Trouble is Photography is seen as a very high risk occupation so insurers put you in the top insurance bracket. Of course you can offset some of this against your tax but...
In the UK I found that if I put my occupation down as Photographer I was put in the top insurance bracket. But if I described myself as a Photographic Technician I was put way down at the bottom. My solicitor said there was a difference but it was unclear what it was so.....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back