Photographers log..

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Gandalf, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Gandalf

Gandalf TPF Noob!

So this weekend while I was out walking around a park (taking a few snapshots) something clicked in my head:

Does anyone carry a small notepad so that they can jot down the settings on their camera for each picture taken?

This seems like a really good idea for someone like me who's just starting out.

2. Walt

Walt TPF Noob!

I keep telling myself I'm going to start doing that. Maybe next time! :)

3. photosoup guru

photosoup guru TPF Noob!

That's one thing I love about digital... all the information is stored on the file :)

4. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I carry the notebook around, but I never write anything down :D and then later I always wished that I had. It's a habit would like to pick up. I write developing notes (like what ISO, N, N-1...) on tape and stick it to the roll or film holder, and I have a darkroom log that I take pretty good notes in: exposure times, aperture, materials, burn/dodge sketches...

5. motcon

motcon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i have the same habits as Matt. if you are just beginning, however; i suggest writing down the info for every shot until you get to know your film and process like your best friend.

6. malachite

malachite Heavily Medicated For Your Protection

I write everything down when I'm doing time exposure stuff. I also just makes notes about the light quality/intensity, # of flash bursts used.......bla bla bla. Also gives me something to do when my exposures are averaging 10+ minutes each.

Only other time I take notes is when using a new film. Bracket like crazy, compare the slides with your notes and you'll learn that particular film personality in half the time.

7. Canon Fan

Canon Fan TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I actually went to the extent of creating an Excel spreadsheet w/printout forms to write the stuff down. Unfortunately the printed sheets ended up at the bottom of the trunk of my car and the Excel file evetually got deleted because I never used either one of them. It's a great idea but it's a lot of work to remind yourself to do it :oops:

8. MANDS

MANDS TPF Noob!

I'm new at this too and have a small notebook which I keep with my camera stuff and use to take down the settings when I take pics. I also make a note of the time of day and what the light was like. Not sure if that's taking it a bit too far but hey, when you haven't got a clue and need to learn I guess anything goes.

Good luck with your pics (& note taking)

9. Nikon Fan

Nikon Fan TPF Noob!

My only suggestion when doing this is don't drop it in a puddle!!! I had that bad experience just recently when I tried some night exposures. :roll:

10. Corry

Corry Flirtacious and Bodacious Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I told myself I was gonna do that when I first got my camera...and I never have to this day, though I sometimes wich I had written donw the info.

11. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Definitely a better way to learn than just shooting and waiting until you get your prints back...but I have never actually done this either.

A personal tape/voice recorder would also work.

12. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental TPF Noob!

An obsession with shutter speeds and apertures is not unusual but try to get out of it. It serves no real purpose and takes your mind off the important things - like the image.
    I once met a succesful professional photographer and looking at his pictures I singled out my favourite and asked what exposure he had given it. He looked at me and said 'sufficient'.