Photographers nightmare...

BuZzZeRkEr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Shooting a reception, and the ceiling is painted in black and dark red stripes! Everywhere! so anyway your looking at it, people are going to be looking red or like the flash didn't fire if your trying to bounce. What do you think the best approach would be? Oh yeah, and the existing lighting is going to be very dim, almost candle lit.

Have you considered a stroboframe (or something similar) with flash diffuser?

Get the flash as far away and up from the camera's lens and diffuse it.

setup some wireless flash and diffuse or bounce off something other than the ceiling

I'd shoot raw so I could adjust the wb later, and I'd run the flash on manual. My experience with bouncing off very dark ceilings is that ETTL/auto flash doesn't do so hot.

I agree with yousayit. Maybe try a kicker?

get 3 or so flashes set them up around the room with wireless triggers and have them fire onto the dance floor thats where most people are. And as others mentioned, grab a stroboframe and throw a flash on there as well.

In that case I'd use the aforementioned stroboframe and shoot direct flash.

ok, thinking down the stroboframe road, what is the the highest frame I can get? Do they make any rediculous ones where you can raise your flash straight up for like 3-6 ft?

In regards to a light stand with wireless... My personal experience is that this doesn't work too well in an event of many people. Its too cumbersome, clumsy, slows you down, and often people will trip over it... especially if you are working a rather large area. It will work, if you have an assistant holding it and following you around.

As for the taller stroboframes, I think the tallest is the pro 11-18inches:
http://www.tiffen.com/displayproduct.html?tablename=stroboframe&itemnum=310-700

I've seen much taller ones but I have no idea what brand. I saw one that had a small umbrella at the top.

I don't shoot many receptions or weddings, but when I do, I shoot with two flashes- one on camera and another at a 45 degree angle to my position. THat flash has a slave and is elevated on a monopod. I find it easier than rolling around with an "IV" hehehe.

The VOLS works great. Auto height adjustments, follows you around automatically and the better models adjust to your needs before you make the vocal changes yourself.

VOLS = Voice Operated Light Stand = your assistant or someone nearby in the wrong place and time.

Most reactions

Back