PHOTOGRAPHERS RIGHTS!

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by df3photo, Feb 13, 2005.

1. df3photo

df3photo TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    ok, i didnt know where I could post this so here it is...
    http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm
    its a lawyers website that has a downloadable handbook of photographers rights. I actually have the book posted already, ive only paged threw it but it looks pretty good and informative.
    I thought this link may help out some of the beginners and refresh some that have been around awhile.

keep it legal...

2. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental TPF Noob!

It's a good thing for people to read. There are often questions here about 'what is the law concerning...'. Maybe it should be made a sticky.
    Thank you df3photo.
    It only applies to the USA, however. And with the current 'emergency' regarding 'terrorist threats' you might find it getting trashed.
    And don't try waving it at the police in Turkey if they catch you photographing an airfield either.

3. Nytmair

Nytmair TPF Noob!

yeah, taking pics around airports just isn't a good idea right about now. Last year a friend and I were taking pictures around this restaurant which is very close to an airport, we also pulled over for a minute to take a picture of a cool tunnel that goes under the take off area.... next thing I know there's a cop behind us. He was cool about it though since we really didn't even think about how it would look to other people.

anyway, that's my little story :lol:

4. minew_m

minew_m TPF Noob!

Thanks for the great link. I'll surely download it and keep a copy with me. Its a great thing to have!

5. df3photo

df3photo TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I thought it might come in handy. I did forget to say that it is for the US only... there is probably something on the net for other countries, i would suspect...

6. AIRIC

AIRIC TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Hey Dan, Welcome to my life :).

You were at the Flying Tiger restaurant at the Buffalo Airport. Love that tunnel under the runway.

Eric

7. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Ahhh.. the inevitable quest for photographers rights... I like to think that we have no rights. As photographers it should be our responsibility to explain our selves to the proper authorities. Hertz said it best; the global community is not very merciful.

As a young photographer I would have told someone to go jump in the lake if they said the above paragraph to me. Personally, our current political climate needs more answers than we are used to. Keep it legal!!!

8. DocFrankenstein

DocFrankenstein Clinically Insane?

I don't know how often Hertz encounters global communities in his photographic life.

I'm approached by dumb ass**** individuals with a superiority compexes. They don't seem very global. :lol:

9. darich

darich TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Here's a UK equivalent

Only thing is - the law can vary between Scotland England and Wales so there may be some local variations to the above brochure.

10. fischerfotographik

fischerfotographik TPF Noob!

Excellent. I'm putting a copy of this in my camera bag. \m/

11. boclcown

boclcown TPF Noob!

How many times have people honestly been yelled at for taking pictures? Is it really that much of a problem?

12. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Good to see you back Hertz.....

You might know your rights but the cop who drives up on you shooting the airport isn't going to know your intentions, so expect to be hassled. You might want to keep a copy of your rights handy. And your birth certificate if you want to shoot highway bridges for a coffee table book.