Photographers Stuck in the Past

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boy, I am amazed at how many photographers cling to the past, which seems to me to be a fatal mistake for any serious photographer or potential pro.

The first group is those that cling to black and white. The only high quality black and white was done by those who did a considerable amount of work on tonal variations, detail, and contrast control in the darkroom. That type of quality represents perhaps 1% of what I have seen. Generally what I have seen is from those who assume that black and white is easier than dealing with all the variations of colour with results that are usually muddy, unnatural, and poor quality.....

Well booger! And here I was using this weekend to get some B&W pics processed. Oh well, at least I'll go ahead and post one here before I dump them in the trash. I should have known better! Saved me some time though: I was just gettin' ready to clone out the piece of fishing line hanging off the tree branch -- now I don't have to.

Joe

$reelfoot_lake.jpg

Beautiful shot, but I wouldn't dirty it in this thread. Start a new one, it's worth it ;)

BTW, has anyone realized the OP threw a log on the fire by posting a single post and the war rages on two pages later.:confused:

Beautiful shot, but I wouldn't dirty it in this thread. Start a new one, it's worth it ;)

Thanks, glad you like the photo.

I haven't been around here much lately as I just landed a new part-time job. I had to put together a rush portfolio for them which went a long way to convincing them to hire me. I made sure there was some good B&W in the overall collection.

I saw this troll thread this morning and swore I wasn't going to get dragged in, but that B&W remark just couldn't be left standing. Here's another photo I used to land that job this past week.

The landscape is Reelfoot Lake in TN -- took that one last winter (5D mkII). This portrait is 25 years old and is scanned film.

Joe

Attachments

• $tom.jpg
    $tom.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 106
BTW, has anyone realized the OP threw a log on the fire by posting a single post and the war rages on two pages later.:confused:

War? I was under the impression most of us were in agreement that it was a slow weekend? ;)

Everybody has to have a specialty.. and Skiiroorir is really good at causing verbal havoc! ;)

War? I was under the impression most of us were in agreement that it was a slow weekend? ;)

oh yeah...did I say war? I miss spoke..LOL

I haven't been around here much lately as I just landed a new part-time job. I had to put together a rush portfolio for them which went a long way to convincing them to hire me. I made sure there was some good B&W in the overall collection.

I saw this troll thread this morning and swore I wasn't going to get dragged in, but that B&W remark just couldn't be left standing. Here's another photo I used to land that job this past week.

The landscape is Reelfoot Lake in TN -- took that one last winter (5D mkII). This portrait is 25 years old and is scanned film.

Joe

Man... you make it hard to pick your stuff apart. Great portrait

Joe

Looks good to me! But then I am a dinosaur.. what do I know! I grew up doing all those those things that are now (supposedly) obsolete! I'm gonna just waiting for the next meteor to hit... and wipe me out! ;)

Ysarex said:

Joe

That is a great shot.

Man... you make it hard to pick your stuff apart. Great portrait

Thanks. That's cause I learned in the past. I'm a dinosaur like Charlie.

Joe

THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT .... hmm. can't think of anything.

Boy, I am amazed at how many photographers cling to the past, which seems to me to be a fatal mistake for any serious photographer or potential pro.

The first group is those that cling to black and white. The only high quality black and white was done by those who did a considerable amount of work on tonal variations, detail, and contrast control in the darkroom. That type of quality represents perhaps 1% of what I have seen. Generally what I have seen is from those who assume that black and white is easier than dealing with all the variations of colour with results that are usually muddy, unnatural, and poor quality.....

Well booger! And here I was using this weekend to get some B&W pics processed. Oh well, at least I'll go ahead and post one here before I dump them in the trash. I should have known better! Saved me some time though: I was just gettin' ready to clone out the piece of fishing line hanging off the tree branch -- now I don't have to.

Joe

View attachment 19064

Pretty good... but the hanging fishing line ruins it for me. :lol:

Now this is what we're talking about. tone, texture, form, composition, ... it's all there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back