Photographers we aspire to??

I shoot mostly bands, portraits and sometimes fashion. I'm not really into any kind of artistic photography at all. But I always try to pull off cool and unique ideas when taking photos. There is more to band shots than just let them stand on a line leaning against a wall or something. You have to stay creative or you'll probably never get anywhere. I guess I am very influenced and inspired by photographers like Joey Lawrence who use Photoshop as a big part of the image creation. Maybe we should call us the new generation of photographers or something. I learned Photoshop before I learned how to use a camera so it comes very natural for me. I never see Photoshop as "cheating" but more like a form of art itself.

I was really starting to loose faith in the forum for a while, but thank God there are some members with the same or similar idea of what Photography is about.

My lecturers talk of two areas of photography "Chocolate Box photography" and "Photography with value" Obviously this is dumbed down to the crudest form, but the message is clear.

If you want to take pictures of inanimate objects for the rest of your life then fantastic, go an become a "mac monkey" learning every little trick of the trade on Photoshop to make things look pretty. If you want to challenge yourself and your approach to making photographs then research and critical analysis is the only way.

I am glad I brought this topic up. What I suggest is that anyone who wishes to discuss the work of a particular photographer or body of work, start a thread entitled the "Diane Arbus---Discussion" for example.

Maybe even talk to the mods about creating an area solely for this type of conversation.

I shoot mostly bands, portraits and sometimes fashion. I'm not really into any kind of artistic photography at all. But I always try to pull off cool and unique ideas when taking photos. There is more to band shots than just let them stand on a line leaning against a wall or something. You have to stay creative or you'll probably never get anywhere. I guess I am very influenced and inspired by photographers like Joey Lawrence who use Photoshop as a big part of the image creation. Maybe we should call us the new generation of photographers or something. I learned Photoshop before I learned how to use a camera so it comes very natural for me. I never see Photoshop as "cheating" but more like a form of art itself.

I have had a look at your work and it is impressive... if you are not into artistic photography what do you use to draw on your creativity. Or are you one of these naturally creativie types...(who I hate haha). You mentioned Joey Lawrence. I am a fan of his, from the bits and bobs I have seen but it is content I find most appealing as apposed to the photoshop techniques.

I do prefer the lesser au natural approach to photography personally.

This was the main reason I set this forum up.
Once you get past the anal stage of being obsessed by equipment and exposure you find that there is a vast area of Photography to be explored. Sadly most people shy away from this because there are no absolutes here: you can quantify technical aspects but you can't quantify things like meaning and mood. These latter, as they can't be measured, depend entirely on personal interpretation so there is no right and wrong - which terrifies the crap out of a lot of people*.
Also, whilst the majority are happy to learn about f-stops and such, they appear to have no interest in the history and current practice of the subject. The majority of people who like to call themselves 'photographers' are for the most part unacquainted with the work of Eugene, Steichen, Annan, Brassai and the rest of the 'greats' who have pushed forward the boundaries. Once you have mentioned Weston and Adams their historical knowledge dries up, except for possibly a few of the trendier contemporary photographers.
What really depresses me though is their lack of interest in learning about them once they have been made aware that there are a large number for them to discover. And so it becomes virtually impossible to discuss Photography in any meaningful way if you have nothing to use as reference points. If you don't know where something has come from you can't explain or understand how it got here, or where it might be headed.
And you sure as Hell can't put your own work into any kind of context.
It would at least be nice to have a few new people in here who are willing to make the effort. It might cause me to once more look forward to coming back in here every day ;)

*Largely because they are afraid of embarrassing themselves with 'wrong' answers.

Well said, although I would not put Adams and Weston in the same league.

If you want to challenge yourself and your approach to making photographs then research and critical analysis is the only way.

I wish I had more time to discuss right now...

I am with you on what you are looking to do, but there is much more to being an artist photographer. Yes, I could not agree with more that one must have a sound understanding of the masters, the history of, and master the technical, but even more important is that we find our own way, find our own challenges as we can only grow as artists if we continue to evolve ourselves, and those life experiences - mostly away from photography itself - is what influences and inspires us in our work.

I believe E.E. Cummings said, "an artist, whose only agony is to grow."

Thanks! :) Yeah well I guess there is some kind of art in what I do, but I never think of myself as an artist, like how a photographer who shoots mainly abstract or surreal shots maybe does. Sometimes I just get interesting ideas and I try to pull them off sooner or later. But of course I never think "I'll do a HDR" when planning a shot. First comes the idea itself and then lighting. The post processing is seldom planned unless it has something important to do with the photo, like a photo manipulation.

This was the main reason I set this forum up.
Once you get past the anal stage of being obsessed by equipment and exposure you find that there is a vast area of Photography to be explored. Sadly most people shy away from this because there are no absolutes here: you can quantify technical aspects but you can't quantify things like meaning and mood. These latter, as they can't be measured, depend entirely on personal interpretation so there is no right and wrong - which terrifies the crap out of a lot of people*.
Also, whilst the majority are happy to learn about f-stops and such, they appear to have no interest in the history and current practice of the subject. The majority of people who like to call themselves 'photographers' are for the most part unacquainted with the work of Eugene, Steichen, Annan, Brassai and the rest of the 'greats' who have pushed forward the boundaries. Once you have mentioned Weston and Adams their historical knowledge dries up, except for possibly a few of the trendier contemporary photographers.
What really depresses me though is their lack of interest in learning about them once they have been made aware that there are a large number for them to discover. And so it becomes virtually impossible to discuss Photography in any meaningful way if you have nothing to use as reference points. If you don't know where something has come from you can't explain or understand how it got here, or where it might be headed.
And you sure as Hell can't put your own work into any kind of context.
It would at least be nice to have a few new people in here who are willing to make the effort. It might cause me to once more look forward to coming back in here every day ;)

*Largely because they are afraid of embarrassing themselves with 'wrong' answers.

My background is not photography or art. I did not take any classes in school. I do not know the names of famous photographers in which to draw inspiration. My background is on the technical side of things, however, I have a great deal of respect for the Arts. This is a very helpful thread.

When I first joined TPF I was desparately wanting the technical aspects for digital photography. But in the same breath, I was searching for inspiration as well. That's why I created a folder in my Favorites for photographer websites. When someone has referenced a particular photog and I found their work inspirational or interesting, it gets added.

I started this thread within the first week or two in search for this sort of information. The term 'author' is synonymous with 'photographer'. I still think the idea has merit.

Please continue with the names for your aspirations. I'm writing them down.

What I suggest is that anyone who wishes to discuss the work of a particular photographer or body of work, start a thread entitled the "Diane Arbus---Discussion" for example.

Maybe even talk to the mods about creating an area solely for this type of conversation.

That is what this section of TPF was originally intended for - discussing non-technical matters whether it be the work of a particular photographer or something even more philosophical.
It has, like most of the forums here, got perverted and is in danger of becoming just one more 'what camera shall I buy?' section.
I blame people not reading/understanding the forum descriptors.

Oh, and in case there is any confusion caused by my previous post. I did not start TPF (that was Chase) - I merely requested that this particular sub-forum to be brought into existence. :mrgreen:

Oh, and Kundalini - I object strongly to 'author' being used with regards the originator of an image. Whilst the word can refer to a person bringing anything into being, it has in recent times become inextricably linked with the written word.
It is because most of the people who have written about Photography have come at it from Literature, and thus equated the image with the written word, that critical writing about Photography is in such a diabolical mess. 'Author' used in relation to someone creating a visual keeps the illustrative Arts firmly subservient to the Word. And I think it should be the other way around. Possibly.
I much prefer photographer but I will settle for artist, originator or creator. But I'm open to suggestions ;)

Oh, and Kundalini - I object strongly to 'author' being used with regards the originator of an image. Whilst the word can refer to a person bringing anything into being, it has in recent times become inextricably linked with the written word.
It is because most of the people who have written about Photography have come at it from Literature, and thus equated the image with the written word, that critical writing about Photography is in such a diabolical mess. 'Author' used in relation to someone creating a visual keeps the illustrative Arts firmly subservient to the Word. And I think it should be the other way around. Possibly.
I much prefer photographer but I will settle for artist, originator or creator. But I'm open to suggestions ;)

Noted.

I was refering to the broader sense of the definition for an author being the creator or originator.

(I know you were, K. But in most people's minds 'author' is synonymous with 'writer' and has no other meaning. And the Word being more powerful than the Image...)

Try these:

http://www.nickknight.com/main.html WARNING: contains some nudity.
The images go from work he was doing at College in the late 70's to the present.

http://www.leskrims.com/ WARNING: contains some nudity.
My favourite photographer.

http://www.tonychau.com/gallery00.html
Quality professional photography with a twist. Or maybe I'm biased.

WARNING: The following site contains nudity and images of a very disturbing nature.
http://zonezero.com/exposiciones/fotografos/witkin/jpwdefault.html
Witkin's work fascinates and repels me at the same time. I love him for it.

And I couldn't fail to mention this gentleman:
http://www.lensculture.com/blakemore.html
http://www.duckspool.com/duckspool/tutors/john_blakemore/john_blakemore.htm

There are a great many more photographers, both living and dead, whose works are worth exploring. Sadly, many don't appear on the Internet. But you could always try your library.

Cheers HvR.

This is the kind of work that I like...the fog laddened backstreets, the dark, smoke-filled recesses that unsuspecting sojourners stumble upon, the moans and shrill laughter echoing from a direction that can't be determined.

I only went through the first two groups of Krims because he deserves much more time and attention (as do they all) that I can afford at the moment. Unfortunately, I am on my office computer and they have embedded many blocks to certain websites, thus Witkins is not viewable at the moment. Never fear, there is always a work around.

Now, where did I put that library card................

I'll chuck a few links at y'all seeing as we are all sharing!!

Some of my favorites and some not so much but all worth a look.

Robert Mapplethorpe --Extreme nudity!! WARNING----

http://www.mapplethorpe.org/selectedworks.html

Albert Watson--- Amazing work

http://www.albertwatson.net/

Richard Avendon-- Amazing portraits

http://www.richardavedon.com/#mi=1&pt=0&pi=11011&p=-1&at=-1

Diane Arbus--- Not everyones cup of tea but with a little research her work makes alot more sense. Great for someone trying to understand how photography can communicate subtly.

http://www.masters-of-fine-art-photography.com/02/artphotogallery/photographers/diane_arbus_01.html

John Kaplan Photojournalist (the russian youth set are a great set of
images)

http://www.johnkaplan.com/pages/index2.html

Thats your lot for now!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back