Photographers you adore...

For portraiture, the one type of photography I have the most difficult time with, Yousef Karsh, hands down.

Well, allow me to alter 'adore' to 'maximum respect' and I propose Michael von Graffenried for his superb, covert panoramics in Algeria in the 1990's.

2819126353_b10acfbef4_o.jpg

Image: Michael von Graffenried

Here's some more info:
http://algeria.firstratehotels.com/bookshop/details/0893818402:inside_algeria

I can recommend the book, it's phenomenal.

I wouldn't say adore, but I think their work is awesome and inspiring.

Joe Buissink
APERTURA (Ray and Erwin)
Jerry Ghionis
Mark Ridout
Mike Colon
Sam Hassas

and Yervant, just because he's Yervant

I like what Gene Higa says.... "Your favorite photographer should be...you."

Whoa whoa whoa whoa people. I have my lists and lists of photographers I like, but lets step back.

Photographers I adore. I know you said you wanted to edit it, but I'm going to tell you who I adore.

Lets take a look at the classics. I get the feeling that sometimes people list some obscure photographers or artists so people think "oh wow, this guy knows him stuff" (I'm not saying anyone in particular here, infact, I didnt really see much of this here at all! But just in general)

The classics are classic for a reason. You can buy their books at your local Barnes & Noble for a reason- because they are amazing.

1. Richard Avedon. My dad had a book of his photographs that I always paged through when I was much younger. I'm going to assume it was American West, but I can't remember. It really inspired me to be a photographer in the first place. He, along with all the pretty pictures in National Geographic made me want to pick up a camera and shoot like them

2. Art Wolfe. He might be a little "Thomas Kinkade of Photography", but he's got the skillz. He's really definaed what a good photograph should look like in modern photography, and that is something photographers dream of.

3. Annie Leibowitz. Lets be honest- one of the best ever, no doubt. When Annie Leibowitz takes your picture, you don't question her. She's the matriarch of fashion and hollywood photographers. If you dont page through some of her works and go "wow..." something is wrong with her. Even if portraiture isn't your bag- you have to admit. Cream of the crop in her genre.

4. Steve McCurry. Afgan Girl. 'nuff said.

5. David LaChapelle. He's weird, but it really grows on you. I like him alot.

6. Ansel Adams. If you're ever in a photographical argument, just quote Ansel Adams.

My grandfather and my one aunt. They got me into photography. Other than that nobody really.

James Natchwey
Steve McCurry
Jerry Uelsmann

I like the list of photographer’s keep'em coming...

Yemme, your the photographer I adore:heart:

:lol: Aww that's so sweet, you've never seen my images have you?:lol:... Bless you!:greenpbl:

*runs to delete images*

I will be honest and say, I have no clue who any of these photographers are that were mentioned. :lol::lol: I actually googled that Ansel guy today, to see his stuff.

One photographer that I discovered a while back was Stephane Lord and got totally into his work.

I actually googled that Ansel guy today, to see his stuff.

Just be aware that the web does little favors for any of these folks' work. Get to a museum or gallery and then it's often easier to understand the hype.

I like the list of photographer’s keep'em coming...

:lol: Aww that's so sweet, you've never seen my images have you?:lol:... Bless you!:greenpbl:

*runs to delete images*
I saw your StarBucks photo:hug::

Besides yemme, I would say Ansel Adams and all National Geographic photographers are my favorite.

Most reactions

Back