Photographers you adore...

If you like stark photojournalism, Robert Capa.

Steiglitz' portraits of Georgia O'Keefe

Paul Strand

etc. etc. etc.

I could use some different eyes. Mine are getting worse as I get older :)

Don’t you worry your pretty little eyes… you have a choice of contacts, laser surgery, more carrots or we can get the guy from jeepers creepers to hook you up.

Unfortunately, lasers don't work for presbyopia ....

I didn't start wearing glasses until I was about 45 -- there's no way I could start sticking contacts in ...

as for carrots .... what's up doc????

These are some recent favorites of mine:

Marina Cano: Amazing wildlife photographer from Spain. She really captures the personality of the animals she shoots, primates in particular.

Simon Chaput
: A New York photographer whose abstract-ish nudes and stunning black-and-white shots of the city, including the twin towers, really inspire me.

Chrissie White: A 15-year old mastermind on Flickr. Really, really creative. Some of her work seems a little "teen angsty", but I can't wait to see how her photography develops...

It's interesting to see the wide range of infuences on other photographers. A sampling of some of my faves that I've studied over the years.....

Walker Evans
Paul Strand
Bill Brandt
Alfred Steglitz
Dorothea Lange
Minor White
Henri Cartier-Bresson
Edward Steichen
Ansel Adams

Check out works by Gazi Nafis Ahmed. love, loved his series "innate identities" which is on lives of LGBT community in Bangladesh(a pretty conservative country) and "agonized soul" (on drug addicts).His work is quite different from usual portrayal of issues by documentary photographers and gave a more personal feel to them. I wish he had more work opnline but here's 2 links I found. Gazi Nafis Ahmed Facebook
Gazi Nafis Ahmed LensCulture .

Wow, where to begin? I see so many togs, classical and modern, that I enjoy. But I think I'll name three...

1. Ansel Adams: Yes, the archetype himself. But I don't just admire his photos. I admire the man. He was so approachable. All the stories I've read about him makes me wish I could have met him.
2. Vivian Maier: Not just jumping on a bandwagon here. Her life teaches me that everyone who truly wants to can make something that truly touches people's lives.
3. Leanne Cole: A contemporary Australian tog. I follow her blog and am repeatedly inspired by both her technique and her dedication. It's no wonder she's got legions of fans.

Gee I wonder how many of the above mentioned photographers have gone to that big dark room in the sky since this thread was started in 2008?

I wouldnt say "adore" - but I think the one I like consistently most is simply Henri Cartier-Bresson.

His kind of classic composition just speaks to me.

Most reactions

Back