Photographic influences

markc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.markcarpenter.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
It's probably rather easy to name photographers that have influenced our work, but how about inspiration from other types of media?

I tell people I want to photograph the way Neil Gaiman writes. I would also say Tim Powers has had an influence. And thinking about it just now, I realized that Robert Anton Wilson has had a much bigger impact than I was previously conscious of.

In music, it's been Bel Canto, Sisters of Mercy, and a good helping of Mike Doughty.

These aren't just artists I like. I can point to specific things in my photography that echo what I've picked up from these other artists.

Music: Van Halen, Right Now

Books: Anything Dean koontz

Movies/cinematography: Fight Club

these things have warped/molded my brain into taking the kinds of pictures i take..

md

Chase said:
markc said:
and a good helping of Mike Doughty.

Wow, I knew I liked you! :lol:
*high five!*

Oh yeah, movies. Definitely Pi, both in mood an cinematography. Run Lola Run in some story aspects. Memento, Blade Runner, Fight Club, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen.

Oh yeah, movies. Definitely Pi, both in mood an cinematography. Run Lola Run in some story aspects. Memento, Blade Runner, Fight Club, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen.

Pi - Wow... you are the first person I've met that has seen that movie.

It's been a while since I've watched it, but I do remember the cinematography was impressive. I may have to dust it off and give it a go again ....

OH i know lots of people that have seen PI, but The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, thats a rare classic indeed LOL

Oh and MD, if Fight Club influences your photography, do you to take pictures of dudes penises to splice into movie reels LOL (Fight Club joke)

Hehe. Looking at that list of mine, I realize that it has a lot to do with the perception of reality and how we can't know if we really "have it". That's something I like to mess with in my images.

I'm taking a workshop right now (every other week for five sessions) called "Finding Your Style" with a local photographer named Kurtus Kracke. His approach to the class has been extremely helpful. He isn't trying to make a bunch of clones; he really is interested in helping each of us find what it is we want to say and how to say it in a consistant manner. So much of what usually remains under the surface becomes conscious choice. This past Tuesday was a real (third?)eye opener for me. I saw what I was trying to do with my work in a completely new light.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back