Photographic workshops

I feel a topic coming on.... compost and other natural fertilizers.

Cowpies against a sunset, that's original, no?

marcprovencher_com.4F4
marcprovencher_com.4F4
marcprovencher_com.4F4
marcprovencher_com.4F4

If you want, I could do a series on this without too much trouble, but you'd have to do some serious C&C on it.

Group #2 seems to be gasping for air. Not many active here.

OK, I'll hold my hands up here and say that I've not really managed to engage with this so far. There are a few reasons which I'll lists to see if they resonate with others:

1. The social groups thing is almost invisible without making a specific effort to go looking for it.
  2. Related to that, on many occasions, group members are posting threads related to the initiative are spread all over the forum, with no obvious reference to their reason for origination.
  3. When a topic is selected, group members are posting their shots into individual threads - wouldn't it be better to have them all in one thread where they could be dissected and compared for their respective merits?
  4. On the topic thing, why do we need a topic? Would it not be simpler to challenge each group member to shoot/post one photo every week and see what feedback can be provided? I'll be quite honest, there are some subjects that I have no interest/opportunity to shoot for and would be less than comfortable providing a critique for. I know some will say that they don't know what to shoot, but it really isn't that important - hell, point the camera down your trousers and call it a low-light macro shot for all I care :lol:. Just make it the best possible shot you can achieve for that week.
  5. I was on holiday
  6. I'm busy at work
  7. I have to keep locking threads of garbage
  8. The Photo Challenge is a higher priority
  9. I have around 1,500 shots from the last few weeks I ought to be editing
  10. You get the idea
For me it comes back to two things, make it easier and don't make me have to look for it.

Chris of Arabia

Some very valid points set out. It seems to me that this is something that should be worked out as a group, in the group discussions. Some of us are very inexperienced at photography, groups and such and would greatly benefit from someone with experience. A few of us having been trying to make this work and obviously we need help and leadership.

Chris I agree its something that should be sorted in group - I have also asked for some sort of method for posts/threads in groups getting attention but so far I think there is no codes setup for such a notice - something you could look into though and talk to the site owners about as well in that mod section.

Also afew ideas/points to raise with your group

1) Threads - my original idea was that each person each week could post a thread (in any correct section) on the normal side of the forum and then in a master thread in the social group post the link to that thread. Then the members can come and focus on that photo - comment and talk whilst still leaving the field open for the rest of the community to take part as well.

2) I think I would advoid having everything in one thread per week - I know its nice and easy in some ways, but it means your going to get conversations going on which are crossing over each other - give that a few posts and the thread would be a nightmare to read through

3) I never envisioned topics per week - again something to speak to group about I think and come to an agreement. Heck you could all swap msn addresses if you wanted and have a quicker talk in msns chat feature rather than through the forums if you were all on at the same time *I would suggest the sites chat feature, but I think in the changeover and upgrade we have lost this now*

Are there any more groups open?

Chris I agree its something that should be sorted in group - I have also asked for some sort of method for posts/threads in groups getting attention but so far I think there is no codes setup for such a notice - something you could look into though and talk to the site owners about as well in that mod section.

Also afew ideas/points to raise with your group

1) Threads - my original idea was that each person each week could post a thread (in any correct section) on the normal side of the forum and then in a master thread in the social group post the link to that thread. Then the members can come and focus on that photo - comment and talk whilst still leaving the field open for the rest of the community to take part as well.

This is working very well with group 1. Heck, I'd be posting a thread per week anyhow, no? Also, we discussed labeling our threads "group x" when posting, but felt it wasn't needed, and might discourage regular members posting in the thread.

2) I think I would advoid having everything in one thread per week - I know its nice and easy in some ways, but it means your going to get conversations going on which are crossing over each other - give that a few posts and the thread would be a nightmare to read through

One thread per week for everyones photos would be a shambles.

3) I never envisioned topics per week - again something to speak to group about I think and come to an agreement. Heck you could all swap msn addresses if you wanted and have a quicker talk in msns chat feature rather than through the forums if you were all on at the same time *I would suggest the sites chat feature, but I think in the changeover and upgrade we have lost this now*

I don't think anyone is having a problem reading the Social Group posts.
You can subscribe to threads there and get an email when someone responds, and also just bookmark your group. Easy Peasy. As far as "topics" per week, if you mean themes, that has totally been elected by the group. If we do a techincal skill, we research it, and then post photos using it.

If the problem seems to be inactivity, boot em, get all the active people from other groups to form 1 new one. You really need to be motivated to do this, as some are, or it just won't happen. How hard is it for each member to post 2-3 photos a week, and have each group member critique them? If people are soooo new that they don't feel they can critique, they should read other critique threads, where a wealth of information has been posted about technical skills and compositional elements.

beginner with the cynicism of a seasoned vet, and the eagerness and patience of a 4 year old.

Ill join a group! This sounds rather nifty.

I would consider myself as an upper level beginner......

I know about photography, not flashes, not PP (Im kinda getting into GIMP....but I cant understand anything about it really....)

Ok group four has a new member, guess I should have read more than the first 5 posts before just saying Ill join....

So say hello to the newest group four member.

*goes to explore what the group has to offer*

It's now been almost 2 months since this thread was started and we now have 4 groups going. Group 2 started out slow, with a few members making contributions and has now died. I'm wondering how some of you are feeling about these groups. Are they what you expected? Are you happy or are you disappointed? Did you rush into joining a group without thinking about the commitment or were you an continuous participant? Just wondering what all your thoughts are.

Last edited:
My participation is on and off, because I have many activities that take me away for weeks at a time.

An off-site weekend or week workshop would probably work best for me, then the commitment is taken care of (and paid for, to motivate me!).

Cheers,
Marc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back