Photographing a Blind Child -- any ideas?

d70girl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Today I'm doing a portrait session with three kids ages 7, 3, and 17 mos. The 7 year old is blind. I'm making sure to bring things for her to hold -- some flowers, maybe an apple or some nice fall leaves. In this way I'm hoping to emphasize her other senses and give her something to do with her hands. Any other ideas on how to capture this little girl's personality in a photograph without drawing attention to the fact that she's blind, and making sure that she's not uncomfortable or put "on the spot" during the session?

Thanks! :D

oh this is going to be a tough session. good luck... unfortunately I can't help you but the idea with leaves is perfect for me.
once I had an idea of shooting blind kids but the idea was to emphasize their blindness and everything that surround them... but here it is a very delicate matter.

d70girl said:
...making sure that she's not uncomfortable or put "on the spot" during the session?

My first thought.... ask her? I dunno. She knows she's blind. I'd be compelled to tell her I don't know anyone like her and I'm the one that needs a bit of help. I really don't know.

Let us know how it all goes.

Pete

That could be a challenge...

I'm thinking that if you can get her to smile while physically interacting with the other kids...that would be a nice moment. Typically in a photo...we can create a connection by having one person look at another...that won't be the case here...and chances are that the people who will be viewing the images...will know that she is blind...so I don't think it would work if it looked like she was looking at the other kids. Does that make sense?

My little brother was born blind, now were 25 and 30 respectfully.

I think at some point I stopped treating him like he was blind and that was the greatest thing I could of done.. I think for pictures you should try to get them into their natural element, or maybye doing something that is their favorite hobby, IF they love to play piano, get them warming up etc...

the thing you have in your favor is they will not have that shyness that WE have... they could care less.... you will get some great shots just let them do their thing... Explain to them its like your freezing a moment in time including the feeling, smell, taste, sound, everything is frozen for one second.... they will understand...

hope it helps a little !!

I have to agree with ThorHammer. I would treat it pretty much like any other shoot with brothers and sisters. Have them interacting with each other. Perhaps the blind child could read a braille book with the other kids. This will get them all bunched in together and make for a nice casual photograph.

I just came across this thread and was wondering how your photo shoot turned out?

Yes, please come and let us know, I have been following this thread from when you first posted your question and have been wondering how it worked ever since, D70girl. Even though I am not "into portrait photography", I still like to read about all your experiences!

Profile shot? Eyes off the lens?

This is a toughy. Definatly let us know how it went...could be a gorwing experience for all of us.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back