Photographing a Harvest Moon

StoryBoutAGirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
There is a beautiful harvest moon out tonight and I really would love to get a picture of it but my nighttime photography skills are really not that great. I have a Cannon Powershot S5IS. And I'm wondering what is the best settings to achieve a photo like this. I really want to catch the detail. I have played around in the manual setting which seems to get the best but still not quite good enough for me. I do not have a tripod but I can set it on something to take the picture. I have tried with and without the flash and I'm just not sure how to get the shot I want. Any ideas? I am not too familar with the settings. I am trying to familiarize myself but am not sure what I am doing.

a tripod would be the best thing to use as being night a long shutter speed would be required but if you have something to set it on make sure its very very sturdy and use the time function to minimize blur

:)

Im quite a newbie myself, but i think i can help. The main point i found out while photographing the moon is that it is REALLY bright. People always think you should use a long shutter speed just cuz its night but in fact you need a really quick shutter speed because of the moons high light intensity. Also a tripod would be good to use(sit it on something atleast).

Heres one of my photos i took just a couple days ago:

p9153586zr3.jpg

Settings:
Shutter Speed 1/1000
F5.6
150mm ( i then cropped it closer)
Iso 100

I dunno...hope that helps

Im quite a newbie myself, but i think i can help. The main point i found out while photographing the moon is that it is REALLY bright. People always think you should use a long shutter speed just cuz its night but in fact you need a really quick shutter speed because of the moons high light intensity. Also a tripod would be good to use(sit it on something atleast).

Settings:
Shutter Speed 1/1000
F5.6
150mm ( i then cropped it closer)
Iso 100

I dunno...hope that helps

Agreed. All in all, the moon is lit by the sun, so really you're taking a shot of something in sunlight. You should be able to get a handheld shot without a tripod. The example above was shot is a more than enough shutter speed to shoot handheld at that focal length. Although, you will not be able to get any other scene details in, they will of course, shadow.

I wrote an Article of Interest that covers this. Check that.

You should be able to get a handheld shot without a tripod.

Good point. i just thaught that a tripod would make sure that its extra sharp, but i guess using that quick of a shutter speed would not really matter.

Hah, cool - it looks like everyone had the same idea! But yeah, pulse is right, the moon is quite a bit brighter than you'd guess.

Anyways, I was trying out my new lens, and playing with aperature settings on that very same moon!

harvestmooncroppedph9.jpg

Settings:
Shutter Speed 1/90
F13
500mm ( cropped in post)
Iso 100

With my 30D, that 500mm comes out to a whopping 800mm! In any event - just go outside and shoot - the moon, after all, is out there all night long. You've got plenty of time to play around and get your settings just the way you like it.

Most reactions

Back