Photographing a video shoot

Fiendish Astronaut

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Has anyone got any experience with photographing a video shoot? I'm going to a country house to document the filming of a music video and all I can bring is what I can carry with me - so camera/tripod/lenses/flash etc. I'll be relying entirely on the lighting on set and will be expected to shoot everything that happens as well as getting a few posed shots with the band. Now I know the best thing I can take with me is resilience and adaptability but is there anything I should think about? Any tips or extra bits of equipment I could use? I still don't know what the video set up will be nor even the location yet!

This is going to pay most of what I need for a decent camera body... (badly needed)

I've not done it, but (as you said already) your going to have to use available lighting. Use of flash will show up in the video, and I doubt they'd want that.
You say you don't know what type of video is... any ideas on what it's used for? Is it documentary, music, film.... all these could change the angle's your shooting.
I'd probably go with a lens with the zoom capabilities, like your 18-50mm, incase you don't have much space to move about.
Lots of memory, spare batteries and possibly a back-up camera.

My experience is from either directing or doing a video shoot. The lighting can be on the warm side colour-wise, so you may have to adjust accordingly. The main challenge can be trying to get the right angle for a shot because there can be both people and equipment clutter all over the place, which can interfere in the background...a light stand coming out of someone's head for example. A fast 28mm to 200mm will cover most of the contingencies, since the range will be from trying to isolate a subject to getting the whole scene in focus.

skieur

Cheers for the feedback - yes it's a music video. Might look into burrowing or renting a fast telephoto. And obviously the flash would only be to fill in between the bits of filming. There will no doubt be a lots of occassions where the band members will be standing around NEXT to the lights rather than under them which could be problematic. It's a well known band so it will probably be quite a high budget shoot - perhaps in film...

I photographed the making of a short movie a few months ago. Treat it like a sports shoot. Take an 18% gray card and either do a custom white balance with it or take a photo of it in the light you will be shooting in. Makes post processing easier.

Treat it like a sports shoot. Silent, out of sight and out of mind of the cast and crew and the camera(s).

I totally agree on getting the fastest lens possible. The last music video I shot was at a T1.4.

I would ask the Director and the Director of Photography if it is ok for you to use a flash in between shots (if you were planning on it to begin with) because sometimes they don't like it. The set photographer was actually fired on the last short film I was on because she kept firing her flash during rehearsals:shock:

Good luck and have fun! I don't mean to scare you this is just the reality of working on film set. Every set is different and what worked for you last time could gets you into trouble this time and vise versa. Just don't get in the way and you will be good to go!:D

Wow that seems a bit harsh - didn't she get a warning? Shocking! Cheers for the asdvice. I think I'll take up the idea of shooting a grey card too.

Not to be a jerk or anything here but Dont't you think if you are making "Most of what you need to buy a decent camera body" you should already know these things. I imagine the guy writing the check for your work might be surprised to see you asking for this kind of advice in a public forum.

Definitely get a blimp to reduce the noise of the shutter. Normally when videos are recorded, they use such a sensitive microphone that it will even amplify and record the noise of the shutter. Make sure you diminish that noise.

Definitely get a blimp to reduce the noise of the shutter. Normally when videos are recorded, they use such a sensitive microphone that it will even amplify and record the noise of the shutter. Make sure you diminish that noise.

On any other film/video shoot (short film, commercial feature) I would totally agree but not so much for a music video. If they are shooting sync sound it is so they know what part of the song they are on when that are on a closeup of the guitar player or something like that. They generally don't ever use it in the final product. They would use a recorded, mixed track that was pre-recorded in a studio.

The girl I was talking about that got nixed was warned once and the next time she was outta there.
She was new to shooting on set and was causing more problems than anything else. If you aren't taking a picture then make sure you don't stand in the way of the crew. They are usually pressed for time and don't care about your pics:(

Not to be a jerk or anything here but Dont't you think if you are making "Most of what you need to buy a decent camera body" you should already know these things. I imagine the guy writing the check for your work might be surprised to see you asking for this kind of advice in a public forum.

I think it would be arrogant of anyone to think they know it all. I don't care who you are and how experienced you are in any field, there is always something to learn. I not asking to be shown how to take a good photograph, but I am interested to hear of any bits of experience that people might have had - this forum can feel like a bit of a brainstorm and helps me to avoid overlooking something obvious. Asking other photographers is part of my research and talking with other photographers about a forthcoming shoot seems sensible to me. The fact that it is in a public place does not bother me a jot. The chap (well guessed) writing my cheque has worked with me before - I'm trustworthy, discreet and make the most of what I have to hand. They know my level of experience and the band know me well and feel safe around me - I get intimate shots of the band members at their most relaxed. That is something I cannot buy in a camera store.

Plus I've worked in the television industry for eight years so they know I'm comfortable around a studio set up.

Yes no need to reduce my shutter noise in this instance, unless they try and do a Michael Jackson effort with before and after bits. Unlikely I think.

I love this attitude. It fascinates me to no end.

I love this attitude. It fascinates me to no end.

Not to drag it too far off topic, but from a certain point of view, he has a valid point.

I am not knocking anyone down, but would you not hope that a professional that is getting paid to do some very specific things for you should have a certain level of knowledge that extends beyond the basics?

I can understand both sides of the coin. I am not a pro, don't pretend to be a pro and do not get paid as a pro... but no one knows everything and its ok to ask... however there is a certain level of competance that should be assumed if one gets paid to photograph professionally.

The questions asked concerning "tips" or "equipment needed" to do somethng that sounds to me like a relatively straight forward shoot and that you are getting paid for it, is disheartening for many professionals who break their backs and banks getting good BEFORE going professional.

This is not a finger point at the OP or JIP's comments. I just wanted to try to show where JIP is coming from. Whether I succeeded or not, well... my bad.

Not to drag it too far off topic, but from a certain point of view, he has a valid point.

I am not knocking anyone down, but would you not hope that a professional that is getting paid to do some very specific things for you should have a certain level of knowledge that extends beyond the basics?

I can understand both sides of the coin. I am not a pro, don't pretend to be a pro and do not get paid as a pro... but no one knows everything and its ok to ask... however there is a certain level of competance that should be assumed if one gets paid to photograph professionally.

The questions asked concerning "tips" or "equipment needed" to do somethng that sounds to me like a relatively straight forward shoot and that you are getting paid for it, is disheartening for many professionals who break their backs and banks getting good BEFORE going professional.

This is not a finger point at the OP or JIP's comments. I just wanted to try to show where JIP is coming from. Whether I succeeded or not, well... my bad.

Point taken. I also think it is worth keeping in mind that there is a lot more involved in being a successful pro than just taking great shots.

To me it sounds like the OP has a good relationship, an understanding and the trust of his client - no amount of technical knowledge gives you that.

It doesn't matter what your profession is (or hobby for that matter) there is going to come a time when you need to step up, and do something for first time. If you have the confidence and faith in you own abilities I say go for it.

My gripe with JIP's post is that it added completely zero value. What's the point? I'm not saying you need to be lovely to everybody and tell them how wonderful they are, but if you're going to reply to someone's request for advice at least make it constructive.

In the end I think I got some great shots. Yes needing to take the step up and this is how I am doing it. Having that close relationship with the band makes such a difference. I was able to come in and out of the band's trailer as a friend and the boys were clearly more relaxed around me than they would be a stranger. They were able to chat with me - despite being very busy - about how they wanted the shots and I know exactly the mood of, for instance, their online diary which a few shots yesterday will be used for.

But there was one other advantage I realised yesterday: and this was pointed out to me by the lead singer. If I was a paid photographer bought in I would not have received the same treatment from those around me. The film crew allowed me to stand behind the camera taking shots on closed sets (even the producer and record co were chucked out on occassion), management and staff treated me with a lot of respect probably because they didn't want to upset anybody who they considered as part of the band's entourage. And the band were helped: band members were consulting my shots to check how things looked - were they adopting the best stance etc? Then doing jokey and serious poses for me on set. A massively experienced pro with the most expensive gear imagineable might have had to battle very hard indeed to get the kind of shots and angles I was able to with less effort - and I still had to use a lot of persistence to get where I wanted to.

But I do see that many pros do work very hard and would love to get this sort of opportunity and I'm hugely grateful for this chance. As it is, I'm not exactly handed this on a plate. I have spent a long time fostering this relatrionship with the band and like most people here I suspect, I've spent far more money on photography than I have received and until I am ready to leave my day job (if ever) I will invest every single penny I earn into my photography.

BTW: I Googled the name of the Director of Photography to see what else he worked on. He's got quite a resumé with a list of very famous bands he's worked with, he's listed on IMDB.com, and I found - SHOCK HORROR - a post by him on a public forum asking a question!!!!! OH MY GOD!!!!

Most reactions

Back