Photographing Abandoned Buildings

mcoppadge

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
There are a number of abandoned warehouses and such that I would love to get into and photograph. Obviously, though, it's probably trespassing, and I was wondering how you go about getting into one. Do you sneak in or do you contact some sort of authority and get permission to enter?

this is kinda of a silly question... it's really up to you decide whether or not you choose to break and enter/trespass...

you might find the legal avenue time consuming with no or little result.... but also no consequences other than your time....

you might find the illegal avenue yields quick and easy results.... but with consequence if you get caught...

if you decide to trespass you might be able to talk your way out of it because your intentions (photography) are relatively innocent.... or you could be criminally charged...

have you considered switching your style to fine art taco photography?? it's a little less risky but is becoming more and more popular....

The most intelligent means of entry is through the front door. Ask permission. It works.

Or you can run around the back, out wit the security guards, enter, hide from the cops, get some photos, and sneak out. That makes for a bit more fun.

I sneak in myself and, look before I leave. Most of the buildings I shoot have been abandonded for ages though. Also if there are not any signs posted then it is fair game.

Make sure its not posted or its chargable.........

And if it is posted make sure you destroy the sign 1st! :lol:

That's a great question mcoppadge. You can't get into that many abandoned buildings in NY. You might never make it out. But this is just my view. It might not be true. You should ask. Does anyone know what's the best way to get a business to give you access to there roof to shoot another building? Is there a photography line... is cash the end resort.

You go in and shoot, and if the cops come you play dumb. It really is that easy,

That's a great question mcoppadge. You can't get into that many abandoned buildings in NY. You might never make it out. But this is just my view. It might not be true. You should ask. Does anyone know what's the best way to get a business to give you access to there roof to shoot another building? Is there a photography line... is cash the end resort.

Show your tits (if any) to the manager.

That was a thought but I didn't want to be molested on the way down.

if there are signs... steel them say there were never any signs to begin with and its alll goood... y ask and not get permission when u can just go

If you ask I'd be surprised if they let you in. There's a reason the building is abandoned.
What if you fell through the floor and broke your leg? I don't think the owner of the building will want to take on that liability.

Sneaking in is probably best.

permission is for n00bs i spent a few years of life sneaking around abandoned buildings, not damaging a thing, not breaking in, just takin photographs, and honestly way more than half of abandoned buildings you can just walk into, be sneaky, dont be dumb, dont be obvious, look like you are allowed to be there, if you get caught up, show off your gear, or run if you can get away. you can get arrested for it, i did. not that fun.

Dress as a ninja.

Show your tits (if any) to the manager.

:lol: ^^^^

I am neeeeeeeeeeenja!!!

<cough> aaaaaaaanyway...

I'm a big fan of breaking rules and asking for forgiveness later, but obviously you do risk getting hauled in or fined.

And obviously, be careful when traipsing around abandoned areas so you don't get yerself hurt. Make sure someone knows you're going and bring a cell phone with you, etc.

Most reactions

Back