Photographing Automobiles?

Cortian

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi All,

Going to visit the Stahl's Automotive Collection of vintage automobiles with friends this weekend. Looking for do's, don'ts, tips, tricks, hints, what-have-you. I've done a bit of reading on the web, but I thought I'd ask here, as well.

I'm shooting in JPEG Large. I don't think I'm quite ready to start fooling around with post-processing RAW images, quite yet.

E.g.: One suggestion I read, which made sense (if I understood it correctly), is use low ISO and aperture priority, that way you can use the aperture setting and distance/zoom to compose. Should be very well-lit, and static subjects, so I don't expect shutter speed to be an issue. Use exposure lock for tricky light?

Speaking of light: I also wonder about the light in this venue... Do any of you ever bring a white target to set a custom white balance?

Or am I getting ahead of myself for a DSLR beginner? :wink-new:

Assuming that most of what you will be shooting is indoors, than I would expect lighting to be an issue. "Bright" to your eye and "bright" to a camera are two very different things. If you have a speedlight, definitely bring it, otherwise expect to be shooting at fairly high ISO. Short focal lengths (<30mm), especially on a crop-sensor body are often necessary due to the space limitations inside. If you're a less experienced shooter, I would go with shutter priority at 1/125 in order to prevent any issues resulting from camera shake. A WB target is a definitely a good idea as venues like this often use sodium or mercury vapour lamps which produce the most gawd-awful colours of light, but shooting raw and correcting in post (it's really very easy) is also good.

Bring a tripod and remote. Some indoor places are worse than others. I have a cool one near me but the specular lighting makes the shots look horrible. Every single light above the vehicle shows up, really ruins a nice car shot and I am not into editing. Just my experience. Now outside? that is better in my opinion.

Assuming that most of what you will be shooting is indoors,
It'll all be indoors, I would expect. Temps ±10°F, snow, ice, slush, salt.

than I would expect lighting to be an issue. "Bright" to your eye and "bright" to a camera are two very different things.
Point taken.

If you have a speedlight, definitely bring it,
Don't even know what a speedlight is :p

otherwise expect to be shooting at fairly high ISO. Short focal lengths (<30mm), especially on a crop-sensor body are often necessary due to the space limitations inside.
Noted.

If you're a less experienced shooter, I would go with shutter priority at 1/125 in order to prevent any issues resulting from camera shake.
I think I definitely fall into the "less experienced shooter" category ;)

A WB target is a definitely a good idea as venues like this often use sodium or mercury vapour lamps which produce the most gawd-awful colours of light,
Noted.

but shooting raw and correcting in post (it's really very easy) is also good.
*Hmph* I'll take it under advisement.

Bring a tripod and remote.
Yeah... I don't think I want to be hauling around a tripod. This is supposed to be about seeing the museum with friends. It's not a photo expedition. Don't have my remote, yet. (Though it may be here before then.)

Thanks for the comments, both of you!

A tripod would definitely help in low light, but it may well not be allowed; if you do decide to take it, I would call before hand and check.

Ps.. EVERYTHING is a photo expedition! ;)

Assuming that most of what you will be shooting is indoors,
It'll all be indoors, I would expect. Temps ±10°F, snow, ice, slush, salt.

than I would expect lighting to be an issue. "Bright" to your eye and "bright" to a camera are two very different things.
Point taken.

If you have a speedlight, definitely bring it,
Don't even know what a speedlight is :p

otherwise expect to be shooting at fairly high ISO. Short focal lengths (<30mm), especially on a crop-sensor body are often necessary due to the space limitations inside.
Noted.

If you're a less experienced shooter, I would go with shutter priority at 1/125 in order to prevent any issues resulting from camera shake.
I think I definitely fall into the "less experienced shooter" category ;)

A WB target is a definitely a good idea as venues like this often use sodium or mercury vapour lamps which produce the most gawd-awful colours of light,
Noted.

but shooting raw and correcting in post (it's really very easy) is also good.
*Hmph* I'll take it under advisement.

Bring a tripod and remote.
Yeah... I don't think I want to be hauling around a tripod. This is supposed to be about seeing the museum with friends. It's not a photo expedition. Don't have my remote, yet. (Though it may be here before then.)

Thanks for the comments, both of you!
Unless you have an amazing low light camera, then leave it home since it's not about photography. You asked for advise. If the light is bad and you don't know what a speed light is, chances are good your wasting your time taking a camera. Have fun!

Ps.. EVERYTHING is a photo expedition! ;)
Somehow I just knew somebody'd say that :)

I'm essentially leveraging a trip to the museum with friends into an opportunity to play with my camera a bit. So I guess you could say, for me, "photo expedition" is a sub-plot ;)

Most reactions

Back