Photographing children outdoors

kike1216

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm a little nervous. I'm a newbie and I would like to practice photographing children. My friend is going to let me take her little girls pictures. Any suggestions on what I should do to prepare myself? I haven't shot portraits just candid, Thanks

What will you use natural ambient light? Or flashes ? If natural light nice time is sunrise and sunset bring a reflector(or a white card board) to fill in shadows that always works for me :) if doing flashes softbox or umbrella set up is good and reflector. Get down to take shots of children's eye level do different angles take a lot of photos my motto (collect,collect and select) make it fun for them and you!

Just make sure that the children are either yours or that their parents gave you permission to photograph them first.

Why? I never did when I shot youth sports.

For the OP, to prepare be sure you understand how to control DoF, shutter speed, ISO, and use light effectively.

If you shoot during the 'golden hours' you'll have to be carful of deep shadows and backlighting, both of which generally reguire the use of strobed lighting (flash) for fill.

Ya I agree 110% with KmH!! Also don't be afraid to use compensation in your camera and histogram if you don't have a light meter if using strobes (manually)know your sync speed! One time when I started out my pictures where chopped off!!! Getting pissed till I read up on strobist.com that saved me grief thought my damn camera was broken!! Lol
Oh also working with Dof using ND filters with strobes works wonders!!!

Most reactions

Back