Photographing Children

You are making it sound much easier than it really is.

I'm not lying....its a lot of work. And I study it daily. I purchase guides and tutorial from photographers I admire which really helps. Also if its not working...forget it and move on. Sometimes your vision has to change.

AGREED!!!!!!

I think I need to shoot more and talk less, cuz I'm not getting it... I think I'll feel better after I blast off a few frames tomorrow afternoon. I have to shoot two kids over the weekend ages 4 and 7. I've seen them together, it's like two wolverines in a small cage.

Yeah, I have 2 kids myself. 2 and 6. It's a bit like having emotionally disturbed drunk roomates. All the mushy sentimental lovey dovey stuff about having kids aside, they can be an absolute nightmare to be around. Especially if they aren't yours :lol:

Great example, these photos are awesome. It's funny that you write "Nothing special here" when actually the pictures are special. If that were my kid, I'd be willing to pay for shots like that...

I want to spice it up but I'm not sure how. Any suggestions to some cool stuff you've done or tried with Children?
Try capturing emotion and personality. Nothing special here, but the client was delighted.

View attachment 39280 View attachment 39281 View attachment 39282 View attachment 39283 View attachment 39284 View attachment 39285 View attachment 39286 View attachment 39287

Each of the photos you posted would look nice in a frame. Thanks for sharing. These are great examples and concepts I want to try.

You have to be prepared, in control, and engaging. Have entertainment prepared to keep their attention like bubbles, books, or any other cool gadgets. Get down low on their level...physically. Laugh, joke and have fun with them. Here are some of my examples....
View attachment 39296View attachment 39297View attachment 39299View attachment 39301View attachment 39298View attachment 39300

Wow, you have what I refer to as "mad skillz"

I agree with Kathy, you need to be in control and you need to be silly. You need to interact with the kids and guide them to things you want....example: "are you a big sister now? I bet you are an awesome big sissy...can you give your sweet baby a kiss on the nose?".

Tell them what to do! Go tell mommy a secret! Oh wow, you see those flowers over there? Can you pick one and give it to daddy? I also make a lot of 'wrong' jokes...."hey, what does a cow say....do they say arf arf??" kids love stuff like that and you can get some real genuine smiles!

IMG_5688.jpg

IMG_1681.jpg

here I said "can you pick a pretty rock and hold it up so baby can 'see' it"?
IMG_0616.jpg

IMG_4575.jpg

this toddler would NOT cooperate...until I suggested getting on daddy's shoulders
IMG_1885.jpg

I am not one who cares about smiles. Sometimes I just blab about a ton of different subjects until they hear something they like...glance my way, and when they make eye contact I am ready.
IMG_0798.jpg

I'm no pro but I hope these images help!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back