Photographing Cigaratte smoke

alexknudsen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am a high school photography student, and I'm doing a project on Film Noir stills. I want to make photographs look like they are on the set of a 1940's/50's Noir film. I did some test shots of one of my models today, and I really want the cigarette smoke to show up. My model will be standing against a wall with the cigarette down by her side in her hand. DOes anyone have any suggestions on how to make the smoke really show up?

Here is a photo that I kinda want it to look like

ritahayworthqlny.jpg
1116078324_4785.jpg

Use external flashes and get creative with the lighting, find out what works best.

I thought I had another example available on photobucket, but apparently not.

This was taken as a silohuette with the flash firing at the background wall. I have taken other smoke shots using an external flash (forget the on-board). You will have to play around with the flash output, but it can be done.

silohette-1.jpg

Also try soft light above it

One I did a couple months ago
009_4.jpg

Just a standard desk lamp was used for this one, The light was well above the surface and directed outward toward the camera and slightly downward.

You definitely need the light to make the smoke visible. If you're having a hard time, try a small piece of incense behind the cigarette. Incense smoke is much thicker and will give you an easier time.

ED: Also, check out Strobist.com and search for film noir. They did one of their monthly assignments on it and how to make an already hard bare speed light even harder. I took two strips of duct tape and taped it over the head so there was a 3/4" x 2.5" space of fresnel showing where the light could come through.

If you are going to back light it... use a black background. ;)

yeah I've just acquired a set of 3 500watt studio lights, so I think that will probably do the trick, Im gonna shoot it with my Mamiya c330 and my Nikon D80

thanks for your help!

P.S I love the incense idea, and I'm definitiely gonnna backlight it with a black backdrop

Like what garbz and Iron flatline say, backlight and dodge it.

2339300182_d562a9f31c_o.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back