Photographing divorced family

See if they have a Family portrait pre divorce. Photoshop works wonders.. LOL

photograph the divorce...

Wow. You guys are so uplifting. Guess I should wait till my pictures are perfectly flawless before I post them on this site.

Wow. You guys are so uplifting. Guess I should wait till my pictures are perfectly flawless before I post them on this site.
i actually like a few of the photos.... If i don't say much about them that usually means there is nothing that i really dislike anyway. :1219:

Yeah, this shoot was the first time I had actually been approached to do one. I have only been shooting for about a year and a half and it is mostly my kids and inanimate objects. In regards to the focus, I have found that my camera is back focusing. Canon says that it can only be fixed by sending it in to them since it is only a rebel series. Funny though, the focus didn't seem as bad when I was editing as it does on this forum. Regardless, she was happy with the result and it made me feel good to have a successful shoot. I'm still learning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, this shoot was the first time I had actually been approached to do one. I have only been shooting for about a year and a half and it is mostly my kids and inanimate objects. In regards to the focus, I have found that my camera is back focusing. Canon says that it can only be fixed by sending it in to them since it is only a rebel series. Funny though, the focus didn't seem as bad when I was editing as it does on this forum. Regardless, she was happy with the result and it made me feel good to have a successful shoot. I'm still learning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A happy client is good and probably all that matters for the shoot! :smile: She's most likely going to print these out for an album (biggest size 8x10, but more likely 4x6) or share them online, right? They look sufficient for these purposes.

Good job, especially considering the circumstances. :thumbyo:

Joe,

I think that some new posters are startled when they get critical comments in a direct, even harsh,way that is unusual on a social site and perhaps my impression of why people respond like this will make some sense.
Many people here have worked for years to develop their skills and take some rightful pride in their current abilities.
Many of us view the influx of people with entry level equipment and marginal skills going out to do 'shoots' as almost disrespectful to photography as a skilled profession. So when anyone posts work that is below an acceptable level - out of focus, badly lit and edited - and represents this as their product for a client, the response can be pretty direct and difficult to hear.
From my personal pov, I have been shooting pictures actively for about 9 years and my critical sense is much more developed than my technical skills. I wouldn't consider doing a 'portrait' shoot of a person or a family because I know that I couldn't produce results as good as I'd like or as good as some of the shooters here who really know what they are doing.
If you want to progress, post individual pictures for comment and learn from the comments, taking those that help and ignoring those that don't.
Work at this.
There is absolutely no short cut to being good and the smart cameras we use often instill a false sense of accomplishment that is pealed away quickly when we wander outside of the small envelope where the camera's intelligence can sustain us.

Joe,

I think that some new posters are startled when they get critical comments in a direct, even harsh,way that is unusual on a social site and perhaps my impression of why people respond like this will make some sense.
Many people here have worked for years to develop their skills and take some rightful pride in their current abilities.
Many of us view the influx of people with entry level equipment and marginal skills going out to do 'shoots' as almost disrespectful to photography as a skilled profession. So when anyone posts work that is below an acceptable level - out of focus, badly lit and edited - and represents this as their product for a client, the response can be pretty direct and difficult to hear.
From my personal pov, I have been shooting pictures actively for about 9 years and my critical sense is much more developed than my technical skills. I wouldn't consider doing a 'portrait' shoot of a person or a family because I know that I couldn't produce results as good as I'd like or as good as some of the shooters here who really know what they are doing.
If you want to progress, post individual pictures for comment and learn from the comments, taking those that help and ignoring those that don't.
Work at this.
There is absolutely no short cut to being good and the smart cameras we use often instill a false sense of accomplishment that is pealed away quickly when we wander outside of the small envelope where the camera's intelligence can sustain us.

Thank you for the fantastic answer.

Most reactions

Back