Photographing during an airboat ride through a swamp

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by leftypony, May 13, 2010.

1. leftypony

leftypony TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Has anyone tried this? I'm heading down to New Orleans in a few days and I'm dying to take my camera on the airboat ride however the tour people have warned me that my equipment could get wet. Any experiences with this or suggestions?

2. jajomo

jajomo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    We did the airboats in the FL everglades and I took my camera with no problem...these were the large airboats not the private smaller ones...that might make a difference.

3. Geaux

Geaux No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Air boats aren't the driest of boats out there lol. They are quick lil suckers and when they start doing donuts and whatnot with them, it gets wild lol.

You won't get drenched though, unless its raining. Welcome to NOLA, you'll have a blast.

EDIT: the post above me has a good point, its a tour boat, so I doubt they'll be too wild with it.

4. pbelarge

pbelarge TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Bring a plastic bag large enough for the camera...just in case.;)

5. DerekSalem

DerekSalem TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Depends on the camera/lens that you're using. Higher-priced bodies and lenses are weather-sealed (the XXD and XD series Canon bodies and a lot of L lenses). You could be out in the rain with those things without a problem.

My problem is that my body isn't weather sealed even though my lens is. Really sucks

6. leftypony

leftypony TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    thanks for the insight! I have a canon 50d which apparently has some amount of weather sealing. I'm actually still trying to decide what lens to take on my trip. I have a choice between the 18-135mm IS lens that came with the body or my older 70-200mm sigma. I'm attempting to "pack light" since this is just a fun trip with a couple friends, not a photographic tour of the city (as much as I might prefer that). I think I'll bring the camera and a plastic bag to be safe!