Photographing food?

nrois02

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all, so Ive done some quick research on google to find good tips for shooting food but I was wondering if anyone of you guys/gals had any other tips besides the basics. This is my first time shooting food and would like to impress my employer. Any help would be great!

My advise would be to go out to eat. Go to a few restaurants and pay close attention to the menus. (I realize that not all menus have pictures...a place like Chili's or Applebee's would be good though.)

you need light. I would suggest a soft box, and then a few off camera flashes.

Photographing food is notoriously difficult. Particularly hot food which requires a lot of very unappetising tricks to make it look 'natural'.

I would definitely suggest practicing on the type of food you're going to be shooting and reading up on the tricks of the trade. (e.g. Always use flash for salads, use glycerine to keep food looking 'wet' and smoke to make it look as if hot food is steaming).

Yeah ... keep in mind that many pictures of "food" is not actually food. If it's real food, it usually has had, as Moglex said, some very unappetizing things done to it to make it "look good/natural/real."

Besides just browsing through a cooking magazine in order to get ideas on angles, depth of field, and lighting (I think that's cheaper than going out to eat for a week and looking at menus), I would just start to experiment. Start with some easy stuff, like maybe a glass of wine, a salad, a cheese plate, or something like that. Figure out what works for you and what you like.

Besides just browsing through a cooking magazine in order to get ideas on angles, depth of field, and lighting (I think that's cheaper than going out to eat for a week and looking at menus), I would just start to experiment.

Cheaper, yes. More fun, hell no. :)

Besides just browsing through a cooking magazine in order to get ideas on angles, depth of field, and lighting (I think that's cheaper than going out to eat for a week and looking at menus), I would just start to experiment.

But it's easier on the waistline. :drool:

But it's easier on the waistline. :drool:

Also a little cheaper and more practical.

Plus, I have noticed that the photographs in magazines (HQ ones, at least) are generally a good deal superior to those that any resturaunt gauche enough to include pictures on the menu would use.

Most reactions

Back