Photographing Hypotrochoids & stuff..

ottor

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Not a new idea, but I thought I'd attempt my version of a photograph I've seen in other venues.. Wife and dogs were totally mystified during my setup. :confused::confused::confused:

Attached thread to smoke alarm on ceiling.... dropped down about 3', attached the butt end of a mini-mag light - Pointy, shiny end facing floor.. Taped a small piece of construction paper that had a couple of "PushPin" holes poked into it, to the pointy, shiny end, and turned the Mag light on...

Set the camera - Canon 450D, 100 ISO, f/20, 33mm, 'bulb' mode.... on the floor, facing up, towards the mag light.. Spun the mag light in a circle... Turned off the lights and fired up the camera... Exposures varied, mostly about 1.5 - 3 minutes, and ended up with many failures, of which these were the exceptions.. The different colors were done with different colored construction paper.. The white had black paper, so you only see the light thru the pinholes, and the red was done with a piece of red paper..

Not sure what they're good for, but I shot the heck out of, what would have normally been, a very boreing evening.. :lol:

3846865583_c0b88b8951_b.jpg

3847655908_87cc1fd0ca_b.jpg

3847655264_92afafdfce_b.jpg

Cool! I love these! Very unique, inventive and beautiful. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I'm not qualified to add critique, either way or the other, but the outcome is really cool. Anyway you can further explain how you did this? I'd like to try something like this in B&W film. Anyway, the photo's are awesome, in my humble if not unqualified opinion.

J.:mrgreen:

That's what I thought when I saw it Goontz, never heard of it before and then twice in an hour :)

Are you subscribed to the DPS daily newsletter thing? They did a thing on exactly this, just today.

A Fun Light Painting Project - Parabolas

That's what peaked my curiousity... I didn't see the newsletter, but I did read a thread where someone did this and i loved the pics.. Thought I'd give it a try.. I think they used LED's, but all I had was a small flashlight - Think it would be fun to use different colored papers in one photograph... :mrgreen:

wow ... never heard of this ...

wish there were pictures of the set up :/

Click on the link that Goontz provided .. I didn't know they had a newsletter, but this is the Forum thread that prompted me to try it. It's described much better than I did.. Just picture a flashlight (light source) hanging from the ceiling on a string, with a camera on the floor pointing up! I'd like to see more peoples attemtps at this..:D

That's what I thought when I saw it Goontz, never heard of it before and then twice in an hour :)
Same here, I was thinking that was just too much coincidence :lol:

Well done Ottor, after seeing the DPS thing this morning, I thought I might give this a try tonight.

Wow....nice paintings....light painting is modern and digital way of painting....u need really good and powerful batteries to do such paintings.....Eveready ultima batteries gives u that power to paint...
Do you own stock in Eveready?

Very interesting! Next time take a shot of your set-up... and your family's mystified WTF expressions! lol

I think they used LED's, but all I had was a small flashlight
The newer LED flashlights are way more powerful than the older flashlights that used regular incandescent bulbs. Maglite has a 3-watt LED Mini-Maglite (two AA and three AA versions) that aren't too expensive. And there are many other brands available, some with crazy amounts of light output (over 100 lumens).

Most reactions

Back