photographing in a mall?

What I find funny is that we get harassed while the terrorists are taking snapshots with their camera phones. Gotta love life. :p

Don't waste your time asking for permission. Just go in, shoot what you need fast and get out. If they catch you, they'll just ask you to pack up the camera and/or leave. If you shoot what you need fast, that won't be a problem as you'll already have your shot.

That's pretty much what I had suggested but it's too late. He already put his foot in his mouth by asking and getting turned down.

Don't waste your time asking for permission. Just go in, shoot what you need fast and get out. If they catch you, they'll just ask you to pack up the camera and/or leave. If you shoot what you need fast, that won't be a problem as you'll already have your shot.

That's pretty much what I had suggested but it's too late. He already put his foot in his mouth by asking and getting turned down.

They haven't seen his face yet. iphoto17 just go in and shoot

Go in on the opposite side of the electronics place... best Buy, whatever... head toward it and take your shots. If questioned, simply tell them you have some questions about the shots and wanted to talk to the Geek Squad about it.

Then display your last shot on the LCD to whomever and say "Look at the contrast. That's not right, is it?"

Denny gets the prize for the best and most creative answer! :thumbup:

Malls are not public space - they are private land and property so to shoot inside one you do need to seek permission of the owners

Ding ding... many misunderstand that a space that is open to the public isn't necessarily public property. Also, the photos taken (even if on private property) are YOUR (the photographer's) property no matter what they say. They can only ask you to leave the property but they can't touch you, your equipment, nor your photos. Of course, this is assuming reasonable expectation of privacy.. blah blah blah....

As such, I often will shoot first and ask later.... I always cooperate when they say no pictures. It is also their discretion... I never get bothered with a rangefinder or P&S. A 1d-MII almost always brings the attention of security.

Malls are not public space - they are private land and property so to shoot inside one you do need to seek permission of the owners. Now of course a little point and shoot or mobile phone camera tends to attract no attention but anything that looks like an SLR is likley to.
My advice is to ask first and see - if they say yes then you have no problems at all to worry about. Make sure when you ask to outline clearly your intentions for the shooting and what your uses of those images are going to be. Further make sure to talk to someone important - the secretary is likley to just have a stock answer of No but her boss or the manager (best person to talk to) does have the capacity to make the choice. If you can meet in person then all the better

Sorry, but yes malls ARE public space. Any place that the public has access to, is defined in law as PUBLIC SPACE. The fact that they are private property is irrelevant to their definition as public space.

You have two choices. Act like a tourist and shoot on the move until you are told that you cannot take photos. If the mall is a tourist attraction, you may not be stopped unless you are interfering with pedestrian traffic or customers. If you are stopped, abide by what they tell you or you could be charged with trespassing.

You can ask for permission, but realize that no one in the mall may want to take the responsibility for giving you permission. They may even indicate that you need to contact mall management in writing to secure permission and that might take weeks.

skieur

You're both right. It's public space but it's also private property. If they say you gotta get out or stop shooting, you have to do so.

You're both right. It's public space but it's also private property. If they say you gotta get out or stop shooting, you have to do so.

Correct

E.g. If you were to take images on the street of people, No-one, Not even the police can ask you to leave, Your tax pays for that road, The only time the police can Forcefully ask you to leave is if you are creating an obstruction in traffic / people walking or causing harrasment.
whereas Inside a mall

Someone has Paid for that land and owns it, It isn't government property
However, The doors are open and public are invited in therefore it is a Public Area on Private land therefore, You have the right to shoot on it but the Owner /person in charge / referees of the person in charge / personelle (managers / landlord/ Staff / Security) have the right to remove you from the premises, If you fail to comply they can file a tresspass claim against you (unless you live in scotland :) then they need to claim ACTUAL damages if you have caused any (physical damage not just "oops I stopped shops getting customers" damage) or a Harrasment claim (which nothing happens unless you are a repeat offender, 3 times I think.

However, No-one! has the right to Demand or Threat you to give them your camera / Memory card
This is a personal belonging and is just like someone asking for your wallet, If they do take the camera from you and delete any images, This is Physical Damages, it is a loss of your property which they have destroyed thus opening a Sue complaint!

Only thing I would say is if you decide to photograph from private property, don't go on to forums later on and complain about it if you were harassed.

Do a rekkie with your light meter and get an estimate of the light levels. They are likely to be consistent. Set your exposure accordingly.

Use a TLR or other camera with a waist level finder. Point it to your right or left, not to your front. That will be less suspicious. Put your camera in a shopping bag. Cut a hole in the bag for the lens. Use a shopping bag with a pattern on it so that the hole will be less conspicuous. Put some candy in the bag. Every time you reach into the bag to focus or press the shutter, retrieve a piece of candy and eat it.

I'm wondering just how interesting a mall is to photograph??? Yeh... I understand pictures of a 2 year old running around but I just carry a P&S for that and avoid the security all together.

Now if there is something interesting to shoot or perhaps use a backdrop, I can't see doing any sort of creative composition through a hole in a shopping bag being any fun or productive. In fact, doing stuff like that will just bring more attention from the rent-a-cops.

E.g. If you were to take images on the street of people, No-one, Not even the police can ask you to leave, Your tax pays for that road, The only time the police can Forcefully ask you to leave is if you are creating an obstruction in traffic / people walking or causing harrasment.
whereas Inside a mall
If pressed, on a street, they can get you for loitering.

Someone has Paid for that land and owns it, It isn't government property
However, The doors are open and public are invited in therefore it is a Public Area on Private land therefore, You have the right to shoot on it but the Owner /person in charge / referees of the person in charge / personelle (managers / landlord/ Staff / Security) have the right to remove you from the premises, If you fail to comply they can file a tresspass claim against you (unless you live in scotland :) then they need to claim ACTUAL damages if you have caused any (physical damage not just "oops I stopped shops getting customers" damage) or a Harrasment claim (which nothing happens unless you are a repeat offender, 3 times I think.
The moment you're asked to stop taking pictures, you lose any "right" to take more pictures.

However, No-one! has the right to Demand or Threat you to give them your camera / Memory card
This is a personal belonging and is just like someone asking for your wallet, If they do take the camera from you and delete any images, This is Physical Damages, it is a loss of your property which they have destroyed thus opening a Sue complaint!
Absolutely correct. It takes a court order...unless you're arrested, then anything you're carrying is confiscated and searched.

Most reactions

Back