Photographing in semi desert environment

yyusufster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi there
Greetings from a self though landscape photography student from Canada currently working in East Africa, I was looking for people that could help learn more about the equipment and harsh environment which damaged my equipment for the past years and how to deal with such dusty, windy and rocky environment.

Sent from my GT-I9301I using Tapatalk

Be careful and carry spares. This is case where buying the best will pay off. Bodies such as the Nikon D4/4s/5, and Canon 1D... along with pro grade lenses will not only provide you the best IQ (assuming your skills are appropriate to the gear's ability), but are built to withstand exactly these sorts of conditions. Things like body armour and lens coats will help protect against minor bumps and knocks. Try and keep your gear's temperature somewhat constant (in other words, avoid going from noon-day heat into an air-conditioned space and back again), don't change lenses outside if you can help, and if you need to, do your best to protect the camera & lens while doing so. Clean your gear regularly, soft brushes, the Giottos Rocket, and clean, lint-free cloths are your friend!

Why is this in the Aerial Photography section?

Snow is white because of the Disney Princess, Snow White. Water is not white as Water White is not a Disney Princess. This does explain, however, why Walter White from Breaking Bad is also white.

You might also consider

1) A Rain-sleeve/cover. There are cheap options like the OPTech rainsleeves, but I think for continual use in such an environment you'd want something more heavy-duty and long term that can take regular use in an abrasive environment. That puts an extra layer of protection between your gear and the sand/dust.

2) As said top of the line bodies and lenses are going to fare you best, but they are also high priced thus things like a rain cover can act as a barrier and help keep the particles out

3) You might consider a good quality clear glass filter for the front of the lens; this will generally help avoid scratches from wiping the front element. Whilst it should be noted that the front element can actually take a lot of punishment and that scratches generally won't show up in shots until they are very extensive; it can hlep cut down on repair costs and up any resale value.
Note this works against dust and sand but against rocks or falls the filter could be more a danger as if it shatters (a front element is very thick - a filter is ultra thing and shatters esaily) it could cut up the front element.

4) Carry a bag [cloth -plastic] to put your camera and lens into so that you can change lenses over without exposing your lens and camera to the ambient air. Again cutting down on teh chances of dust and sand particles getting into the system.
If possible carry a second camera body with the other lens attached so that you don't have to swap lenses over; just pick up the other camera - of course this is more expensive esp if you're going for top of the line gear - the bag approach is more affordable and practical for most people

Snow is white because of the Disney Princess, Snow White. W............

Um........ where is her crown?
That ain't a bow on her head.
e4ca340d598ee7b68b4cb06773228202.jpg

Snow is white because of the Disney Princess, Snow White. W............

Um........ where is her crown?
That ain't a bow on her head.
e4ca340d598ee7b68b4cb06773228202.jpg

That ain't a Disney image either. Walt has her wearing a red bow. Not exactly a headpiece fit for royalty.

Plus....... princess of what land?
Here you can learn all about it. Snow White's Story - Disney Princess Listen to the story and follow along. It is a fun story. Well if you have a 4 year old and a 6 year old granddaughter that is. :lol:

Don't for get to have a glass of milk and your blankey with you when you listen. :laugh2:

Sometimes she wears a bow sometimes her crown. Trust me, if you haven't been there and done the whole Bibbidi Bobbed Boutique thing and then had dinner with the princesses you have missed out in life. OMG talk about expensive. And yes they get to keep the dress and stuff.

Last edited:
We can all have fun, but I think that particular joke has overrun its course - lets get back to the thread topic shall we

Most reactions

Back