Photographing large police funeral?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Destin, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Destin

Destin Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Last week we were unfortunate enough to lose a Buffalo Police Officer in a dive rescue training accident in the Niagara River. His funeral ceremony is being held in the local NHL arena tomorrow morning with a procession from there to the cemetery to follow.

They’re expecting 5k-10k police officers from all over the country to attend as well as fire, EMS, and military personnel.

I’d be attending as a firefighter, but my dress uniform is out for alterations and won’t be returned in time. I still want to honor Officer Lehner in my own way, and the only other way I know how is to photograph the amazing outpouring of support that is going to happen tomorrow.

That being said, I don’t have a press pass and I’d be shooting for myself; the local paper I freelance for doesn’t cover buffalo and isn’t interested in running this story.

As a first responder myself I understand how to photograph an event like this respectfully from a distance.. but they don’t know that I know that.

Would I be out of line to show up and just take photos on my own? Anyone ever done this?

• Like Like x 2
  2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    IMO, not at all. If it's an event that's being held out-doors and/or in publicly accessible spaces, so have at it. Given the size and scope you describe, I'm sure you won't be the only one.

Not a funeral, no, but one of my charity gigs is to cover events in the area for Wounded Warriors Canada, so I turn up at a lot of events where I've not been invited. No one has ever complained.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Dean_Gretsch

Dean_Gretsch TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit

Perhaps donate some nice printed photos to area PD depts, fire and/or rescue depts. I think it will be a good thing to do. In this time, those who serve are not being honored or respected enough.

• Agree Agree x 2