Photographing Memorabilia

Cash1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello Everyone,

I am interested in some beginning info on photographing memorabilia, mostly sports stuff.
What are the best lighting conditions, camera settings, etc. What kind of flash or continuous lighting should I be looking at? Backdrops? I have taken some photos and glare always seems to be an issue.

Any info from the photo forum community would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Cash

Light Science and Magic - current edition (I think its up to 4th?). That's a textbook starting point on how to control and manipulate light and that's going to be key in this line of photography. It will cover a huge range of subjects, situations and such that we can't really cover to any length on the forums (because it will take a book to cover it all ;)).

In very generalist terms flash lighting is likely the best; continuous can work but it can get very hot whilst working and LED lighting is kind of not quite there yet unless you're spending a LOT of money on it (the cheap LED end hasn't got as much power).

You're essentially looking at studio type setups; even if its only a few simple items. That way you control the scene; situation and lighting to suit the subject; since they are going to be static and easily manipulated to do what you want.

Electronic flash works well; something like lower-powered monolight flashed (Adorama's Flashpoint 320M is a good example of what I mean)' smaller recessed-face, gridded softboxes (24x24 inches or a bit bigger); plain white or black paper rolls; a pair of sawhorses; a large sheet of Plexiglas sheeting; a second electronic flash unit. A macro lens would be handy: 40mm or 60mm length.

MANY people will likely elect to go with a "light tent" from Amazon or eBay, and a pair of shop lights. Not as versatile, but fast,easy, so-so results range possible.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back