Photographing nail art?

ababysean

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was contacted to photograph some nail art by a local artist. I will admit it seems like an awesome thing to photograph, but I'm lost on how to do it.

I have my NikonD3000, a 35mm, the kit lens, 18-55 and the 50-200.

I also have an SB-600.

If this was all you had to work with, would you suggest outdoors and use the 35mm so you can focus close to the nails themselves?

Here is an example of what she wants done on this website

http://koromdiszitesek.hu/

Last edited:
I think that the 35mm lens would force you to get very close to the hands, which might be inconvenient if you choose to shoot outdoors --you might end up having to deal with your own shadow cast on the subject. I'd try with either of the other lenses instead. In addition, the longer lenses -- with their extra reach -- would give you the ability to "get closer" to the nails to capture them in more detail.

no, that is why I said here is an example of what she wants done...

Who owns the photo you posted?

What does it matter? the image is covered in watermarks and has a website attached.

I see people posting questions all the time, how did they get this shot, with a picture attached?

If this is not allowed, then I will remove the heavily watermarked and website stamped example.

I'm not sure why you are going round and round with me on this, tell me to take it off, or not. I'm not being rude but if you are trying to say something about me doing something illegal or against the rules, just say it.

I know you are saying I am infringing on copyright, but using another image asking for help on how to shoot this, is that copyright?

I'm not quiet sure what I've done to get on your bad side, but whatever it is, I apologize.

I see a few posts over the past week or so asking, how do I get this effect.....

Don't worry, I've been attacked for it, too. Some people like "enforcing rules" a bit too much.

I would shoot indoors or in open shade. Use your SB600 off camera if possible with a softbox. If that is impossible, bounce it off a convenient white wall or ceiling, or use a big piece of white posterboard to bounce the flash off to avoid a harsh look.
Pay attention to the small details and use a nice background/table. I would use something like nice natural wood but that's up to you and what you have available. Try to avoid cheap looking backdrops like old sheets.
Use an aperture that lets you get all of the nails in focus. The lens you use probably won't matter too much, but I would go with whichever one lets you get the best 'macro' shots (ie whichever has the highest magnification ratio).

One light, with a diffuser and/or reflector should be enough to get started.

The lenses are what I would worry about...

To me, it seems like you would need a macro lens. Can any of the lenses you currently own focus close enough to fill the frame with a set of fingertips?

the 35mm I can get 12 inches to focus, I think.

But with the field of view from the 35mm (on the wide side), how much room does a hand take up?

Manually set your lens to the minimum focusing distance. Move your hand (or the camera) in and out till the focus is good. How big is your hand compared to the frame in general? Is it comparable to the sample pictures you posted?

But with the field of view from the 35mm (on the wide side), how much room does a hand take up?

Manually set your lens to the minimum focusing distance. Move your hand (or the camera) in and out till the focus is good. How big is your hand compared to the frame in general? Is it comparable to the sample pictures you posted?

I will have to check this out!

Most reactions

Back