Photographing people

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by abaddon07, Sep 20, 2006.

1. abaddon07

abaddon07 TPF Noob!

Hi, I was curious about portraits of subjects not inside a studio or controlled setting. If you take a photo of someone on the street or near their home or anywhere similar, what legal issues are there for using their images? Do you need a model release from someone that is not a professional model?

2. JDS

JDS TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I think by law, you're only required to have a release if you're going to be using the photo in commercial advertising, or something along those lines. It wouldn't hurt to have it in any case, and at least ask permission...

3. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Abaddon, browse this very forum high and low, you will find numerous threads on this very topic ... we all have these questions, and they have been asked and answered over and again. It is all here...!

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Laws and regulations vary from place to place...the best place for legal advice would be to ask a lawyer in your area...or at least a professional photographer in the area.

In general, what JDS said is common. Photo of people in public is OK or "fair use" (news reporting etc.) but for commercial purposes, you will need a model release.

5. abaddon07

abaddon07 TPF Noob!

Thanks everyone. I'll talk to some people to see what the process is. It's tricky because I imagine one could make a case for what could be considered "commercial" or "advertising" if they wanted to take legal action. Talking to a lawyer or established pro is not a bad idea.