Photographing Pets

kanadierin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

Any suggestions on how to photograph pets? I have a 18 month old kitten who WILL NOT STAND STILL! I would love to get some great shots of her but it is so difficult. So help on how to get a portrait, posing, as well as tips for photographing a moving kitten (or any animal really) would be useful.

These are the ones I managed to get before I started learning about my camera and photography - I just picked it up and shot.

Picasso
picasso.jpg

p3.jpg

p2.jpg

picasso1.jpg

and my roommate's cat, Tigger:
t1.jpg

I have some ideas for posing your cat

Idea#1 Get the cat Drunk with some of that beer(shouldnt take to much)!

Idea#2 Duct tape the cat where you want it!

Idea#3 Wait till the cat dies and pose it however you like(probably want to pose it before rigors set in though)!

Idea#4 Euthanasia,Taxidermy,Tada... Gumby Cat!!

BTW I am just jokin with ya.I dont have hatred toward your cat just cats in general:mrgreen:

haha those might be the only ways to keep her still! The ones next to the beer I had to play with the toy and then try to take the photo before she ran away with it (she likes to hide her stuffed mice).

You obviously have too slow a shutter speed. You are going to need to use a flash or get more light on the cat to get a faster shutter speed.

Yes, what has been said before and a remote for your camera.

Here's one new although you can get them much cheaper used or in an off brand...

www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=12953&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Use a bait on a short stick and stand out of view. Use a medium app., F8 or so.

Indoors you can drag the shutter for the background and the flash as stated will freeze the motion.

good luck and enjoy that cat!

mike

First, use a fast lens, such as a 50mm f/1.8. What lens do you have with your AE-1 Program?

Second, use a fast film; minimum of ISO 400. 800 would be better, if you can find it. Fuji used to make a very good 800, I don't know about B&W.

Third, get the cat near window light. The more light you have, the faster the shutter speed you can use.

Fourth, shoot with the lens pretty wide open. You're aiming for shutter speeds of at least 1/125s.

I have a 50mm f/1.8. Thanks for the help! I'll go get a new roll of fim + some new toys (on sticks!) + try all your suggestions.

Use a bait on a short stick and stand out of view. Use a medium app., F8 or so.

Indoors you can drag the shutter for the background and the flash as stated will freeze the motion.

F8??? for a fast moving subject??
Don't think F8 is anywhere near wide enough. I'd be going for something much wider like f2.8 or f3.2.

I'd also steer away from flash for 3 reasons
  • It'll spook the cat
  • it'll cast large unsightly shadows
  • You'll get horrible green eye - the feline equivalent of red-eye

Faster shutter speed, higher ISO no flash and as much natural light as you can get.
What about letting the cat outside? even on a lead?

I got great shots of my two kittens a few years back, but I had a lot of help. If you have someone that can hold the bait, be it a string or a catnip mouse, you can communicate with them to get the best shots. I looked for the best light and my husband took the yarn and baited the cat into chasing the yarn into the best light. When the kitten got to the best position, he lifted the yarn up and the cat was looking directly at me. If I can find the shots, I'll post them.

I've had Pixel for about 18months now and she's around 3years old. Right from the day i got her i've been taking photos. She's very used to having the camera in her face and the sounds it makes are no surprise to her. Her being realzed and used to the camera makes for some great opportunties. Here's just one
_MG_5659a.JPG

I deliberately used a wide angle to make it look odd and the lens was almost touching her foot. But she's cool with me touching her feet and lets me clip her claws.
In time the cat develops a trust and knows that you won't harm it. It also gets used to the clicking and beeping a camera makes and doesn't flinch.

I highly doubt Picasso would be afraid of the flash - absolutely nothing scares her. Nothing. I won't take her outside (even on a leash) because she is not allowed to go out there and I don't want her to get any ideas into her head lol I'll fool around with the camera and see what I get out of it. And a helper - what a good idea! :) My kitten is so easy to distract - you just wave a pencil in front of her and you've got her attention.

First, use a fast lens, such as a 50mm f/1.8. What lens do you have with your AE-1 Program?

Second, use a fast film; minimum of ISO 400. 800 would be better, if you can find it. Fuji used to make a very good 800, I don't know about B&W.

Third, get the cat near window light. The more light you have, the faster the shutter speed you can use.

Fourth, shoot with the lens pretty wide open. You're aiming for shutter speeds of at least 1/125s.

I have no idea why you would want to use 800 speed film to get a good quality photo of your cat if you use a fast lens you should be able to use no faster than 400 but of course the slower the better you should even be able to get away with 200 but anything over 400 is going to be far more grain than you are gonna want. Even if you can find B+W at 800 do not buy it just use 400 better yet slower.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back