Photographing Sedona - General and Route Advice?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by astrostu, Oct 15, 2007.

1. astrostu

astrostu Guest

I'm going to a conference in Flagstaff this week that ends Friday at noon. I'm planning on driving down to Sedona (50 minutes away) and spending the afternoon and sunset there. I plan on driving to Walnut Canyon on Saturday and being there in the morning through noonish before I head back to the airport for my late afternoon flight.

I've been to both, but all my photos from Walnut Canyon were lost in a hard drive crash 3 years ago, and I was out of memory by the time we got to Sedona. And, they were both 3 years ago, so I really don't remember much (except all those stairs at Walnut Canyon and very steep drives through Sedona).

Anyway, to make a short question long ... what's the best route to take through Sedona? Looking at the map, I'm going to take 89 down to Sedona, but then I don't know if I should stay on 89 or get onto 179 ... and should I stop at Slide Rock State Park along the way, or go through Sedona to get to Red Rock State Park and back-track to Sedona for sunset (since the state parks are only open 'til 5 PM now)?

Advice appreciated!

2. abraxas

abraxas No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Slide rock seemed to be a bit of a long walk for shots filled with people. It may be considerably different with the colder weather. Would be beautiful w/o the people and litter.

You may want to stop at the bridge before you enter Sedona- I thought it was real pretty. I'm not sure if you can get a shot of Steamboat rock from there though (1 1/2 years ago).

Red Rock is a must though. From the parking lot, walk across the green to the creek. Turn to your left and walk a couple hundred yards or so. You'll see.

Oak Creek at the bridge heading south should be gorgeous with the autumn.

Go south on 89 (after you visit red rock) but don't go past bell mountain (boring sort of). You'll probably see elephant mountain then I think it's the three nuns and then courthouse rock.

Good place to eat is a mexican food place north part of town by red earth(?). Park in the back. Great veranda if I remember right. Shot this from back there;

--

If you have a chance, get the tourist map in flagstaff. It'll show you where the formations are.

or, I stayed at kokopelli's they have some cool stuff online that may help;

http://www.kokopellisuites.com/Activities/SightseeinginSedona/tabid/86/Default.aspx

The cococino national forest is where I spent most of my time there; broad landscapes, etc..
    --

Hope this helps.

3. jedithebomber

jedithebomber TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Take Schnebly Hill Road if you have time. Its dirt, but fairly maintained so its passable by passenger car. Great views of Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon as you get up on the rim. Slide Rock may be good for a shot or two, I would pass it up for more time at Red Rock. Anywho all my favorite spots are well off the highway. However its a great area with photo opps just about anywhere you look. I live 17 miles away in Cottonwood, so if you have anymore questions feel free.

4. Mitica100

Mitica100 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sedona is a great spot for photo opps, as you well know. 89A will take you around proper Sedona, 179 will take you though to the Bell Rock which is beautiful, especially at sunset. There is a park where you can go and visit (I forgot the name, it's been a few years) and where you can also take pictures of the red rocks at sunset plus their reflection in water. I'll try to remember the name. Schnebly Hill is accessible by regular car but I would advise the use of a 4x4, it'll get you places faster. If you're going South on 89A, you'll arrive in Cottonwood and Jerome is not that far away. The town of Jerome is very interesting, photographically speaking. A former ghost town, it's been revived by artists now and it's a great attraction near Sedona.

So, in short, after you take 89A and arrive in Sedona, look for 179 (fork towards Tlaquepaque) and stay on it until you arrive at the Bell Rock. Then you can go back to 89A and go South to Cottonwood and Jerome. That should be a day's worth of visiting and picture taking activities.

Have fun, post pics if you may. BTW, weather's just great now! ;)

5. astrostu

astrostu Guest

Okay, so I have limited time and I'm limited by the car that they're willing to pay for off my grant (apparently the University already reserved the smallest compact car that Avis rents ... grrr).

The conference ends around 12:30 (possibly a little later) on Friday. The state parks close at 5:00. So this is what I'm thinking I'll do:

Friday
    1:00-1:45 - Drive to Slide Rock
    1:45-2:00 - Photograph Slide Rock (you guys say it's only good for a few shots, so I'm not going to spend much time here) ($2 or $8)
    2:00-2:15 - Drive to Sedona
    2:15-2:45 - Possibly stop briefly in a few places for photos
    2:45-3:15 - Drive to Red Rock State Park
    3:15-4:30 - Explore/Photograph Red Rock State Park ($2 or $6)
    4:30-5:00 - Drive back to Sedona
    5:00-6:15 - Photograph/Explore Sedona (Sunset ~5:50)
    6:15-8? - Dinner in Sedona, Explore a little more

Saturday
    7:15-7:30 - Breakfast, check out of hotel
    7:30-8:00 - Drive to Walnut Canyon National Monument
    8:00-10:00 - Explore/Photograph Walnut Canyon ($5 entry) (been there before but photos were lost)
    10:00-11:15 - Go back to Sedona, taking I-17 and stopping in Oak Creek/Big Park (closest thing I could find to "Bell Rock")
    11:15-11:45 - Oak Creek/Big Park Photography/Exploration
    11:45-12:00 - Drive back to Sedona
    12:00-12:45 - Lunch in Sedona
    12:45-1:30 - More photography in Sedona
    1:30-2:30 - Drive back to Airport for 4:20 flight

I'm not going to have time to visit Cottonwood/Jerome with the other stuff that I want to do (the two state parks on Friday, the Nat'l Monument on Saturday).

How does that sound, guys?

And jedi - how far up Schnebly Hill Road before I get to the area you suggest? Will that be the best place for sunset in the Sedona area, since I'm only going to have ~45 min before sunset on Friday? Or should I go up it Saturday?

Note that I was at Meteor Crater and Sunset Crater two years ago and have great pics from that, so that's why I'm not bothering to visit those.

Edit: Also ... any good places for dinner on Friday, lunch on Saturday in Sedona?

6. abraxas

abraxas No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Looks like you got it covered.

The mexican food place I mentioned previously is excellent- It's on the left as you enter sedona from flagstaff. I can't remember the name though. Not pricey at all. Going west toward red rock is a deli on the right can't remember the name of it either; great sandwiches. Breakfast at the airport is dynamite.

I'm sure you'll have a great time-

And remember this;

Some people say high clearance trucks handle best,
    some people say 4x4's handle best,
    I say, rental cars handle best...

7. CDG

CDG TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I would second Schnebly Hill Road if you ever get the chance to go back, or if you're ever back in flag and you want a ride, I'm happy to take you for the cost of lunch + a case of Mountain Dew if you give me some advance notice.

The last time I was down there about a month ago I would have to say it was too washed out for a sedan.

I can also vouch for the airport - great place to eat dinner too, if you're into just plain but good food.

8. jedithebomber

jedithebomber TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Schnebly Hill Road will take about an hour one way, so you may not be able to fit it into your schedule. However if you want to go part way there are definitely some photo opportunities along the way even if no further than the parking lot just before the pavement ends. I would suggest you save it for Saturday.

As for food, if you like mexican Javalina Cantina is good. The Hideaway is a good place for Italian type food. There is an excellent sandwich place in uptown, I can't remember the name. Pizza Piccazzos is very good. There are so many good places to eat its hard to list them all.