Photographing the Banal

door 100910.jpg

I never thought of this as a single genre, although I shoot a lot of chairs, doors, walls, etc. that seem to be examples of it. Funny about Eggleston - although he photographed some subject matter that interests me I never could warm up to his work. It almost seemed as though part of his point was that he was making the images look like snapshots and that made them art (and please let's not try to define and separate these again), but I guess I missed the joke.

In any event, I'll post some that seem to be along the lines of others posted here.
watching the video now. so far it seems taking a photo of anything. sorta like abstracts but with lower standards. so somewhat thought out snapshots. some of the stuff in this thread is better than some of the stuff I am seeing he took in this video. Looks like the guy has some good work, but also quite a bit that is pretty much just a snap shot.

I never thought of this as a single genre, although I shoot a lot of chairs, doors, walls, etc. that seem to be examples of it. Funny about Eggleston - although he photographed some subject matter that interests me I never could warm up to his work. It almost seemed as though part of his point was that he was making the images look like snapshots and that made them art (and please let's not try to define and separate these again), but I guess I missed the joke.

In any event, I'll post some that seem to be along the lines of others posted here.

I find that even for my favorite photographers of this style, there are as many shots that fail to resonate with me as there are that floor me.
Your snapshot comment is actually spot on in a way. Many of these that I like the most seem to be the elevation of the snapshot to an art form circa 1970's suburban america.

Most reactions

Back