Photographing welding help...

EljayK004

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, my Dad is a welding professor and I wanted to get a few "action shots" of him at work. I've never shot welding before, so I was looking for suggestions. I know of the dangers of looking at the arc (my dad's a professor...), so I'll be taking precautions for that, such as a sheild for my eyes, but what about the digital sensor? I'm assuming no matter what I do, the arc will be blown out, or he'll be to dark, but any ideas? Anyone ever shot through a welding helmet lens before? Anyone have any pics I could take a look at? Any ideas you can toss out would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Johnny K

I've only shot oxyacetylene, but thats alot dimmer than an arc, i would try HDR shots,

I say don't try to fake it, use it to an advantage. The arc will be bright. Very bright. See if you can make it flare in a way to add something to the image. Expose for the background.

I am not 100% certain about the sensor issues. My guess is it would survive. I always thought it was more of an issue with longer exposures. (I wouldn't try a 10s exposure into the sun.)

/EDIT: Just had another idea too. The arc is usually bright enough to light up it's surroundings. See if you can use it for some creative lighting effects. Example from google image search

Most reactions

Back