Photography and the graphic arts.

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Torus34, May 27, 2009.

1. Torus34

Torus34 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Every once in a while I come across something which reminds me of the difference between photography and the graphic arts [drawing and painting]. We're all aware of the fact that photography includes a constantly changing technological component but there are other differences, too.

One is the speed with which new concepts take hold. In the graphic arts a major 'movement' such as impressionism may take many years to establish itself. In photography, something like HDR seems to spread like wildfire. In the graphic arts there's been little or nothing new in brushes since the introduction of nylon bristles. In cameras there seems to be a new development every couple of years.

The rapid spread of techniques and new gear in photography can lead to another interesting phenomenon: fads. This was nicely demonstrated to me last night as I browsed through a book in my stacks, 'Composition in Art', Henry Rankin Poore, Dover Publications, Inc, New York, 1976. The author covers the problems faced by an artist in composing a picture without a single mention of ... the 'Rule of Thirds'!

2. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    In photography you can get most new techniques down in the better part of a week.

You can say the same for the graphic arts except you would need to substitute year for week.

This would tend to explain why us ADOS (Attention Deficit Oooh Shiny) types gravitate towards photography. ;)

3. captainkimo

captainkimo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Interesting topic. Personally, I'm enjoying photography more since it gives me more artistic freedom. I have been working in the graphic arts industry for more 10 years already and I have always been restricted to what the clients want. (Sorry if this somehow sounds a little out of topic LOL).

Cheers!

Captain Kimo

4. bhop

bhop No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Graphic design is my day job.. that's probably why I like photography. I don't have to think as much about ideas and concepts... at least not with the style I shoot anyway.

5. SrBiscuit

SrBiscuit TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    im also a graphic designer full time for 12 years now, an i LOVE having the ability to combine my formal skillset with my passion for photography.

i think i would die without photoshop in my pro and personal life :lol: