Photography and Your Family

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by wildmaven, Aug 30, 2007.

1. wildmaven

wildmaven TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    How does your family react to your photography? Are they supportive, or do they groan at every purchase you make? Do they stand there, tapping their foot when you stop for the 1,000th time to take yet another spontaneous shot, or are they there helping you, holding makeshift reflectors for you?

2. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    My dad gets furious at every purchase I make, but still supports me 100%. Pretty much everyone I know supports me 100% either in comments, acting like assistants, doing special printing, or purchasing prints.

3. droyz2000

droyz2000 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    My parents support me 100%. They always ask me why I need something before I purchase it so that they know there is a good reason. As long as I come up with a good reason they have no problem. At times they even help me with equipment. I have had to pay them back but things have come up where I have needed stuff.

4. astrostu

astrostu Guest

My family supports me. I think my mom groans at the equipment, but my dad understands since he was into photography a few decades ago (recently sold his old film Nikon SLR).

They all support my photos in praise. :)

Except my brother. Who refuses to have his picture taken.

5. castrol

castrol TPF Noob!

My amazing wife...what can I say about her? She has put up with THOUSANDS
    of exposures. Hey baby, I wanna try this idea I have with a couple of flashes.
    Or, let me see how this is gonna come out if I change this. Man, I tell ya the
    girl is a trooper.

She is also my poser. She'll get people lined up right, standing correctly with
    the hair in place and nothing on their shirt. She is really good at that kind of
    stuff and I am very blessed to have her enjoy something that I like so much.

:)

6. DeadEye

DeadEye TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    My family supports it well. My mother loves to post edit. She is a PSP guru that has been published and won awards with her retouch work. I wish I could get her to use CS3 but she WONT. My wife is an old school shutterbug wonderfull with her composure but wont even hold a technical conversation just says all you do is frame up,focus, meter and shoot. I dont care about apature and such fiddley stuff. She frowns at the young models but knows they are just subjects and its a lot better to be doing a shoot than to be in a bar room.:wink:

7. LeftBehind

LeftBehind TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm 15 and this is the first thing i've taken seriously. They're glad that I found a job and have put lots of time into something I love. My father was very much into photography ,and drives me to the closest photography store 45 minutes away all to often, and to the book stores for books on photography, for that reason alone he is one of the most supportive people i know. My friends often ask me what pictures I've taken lately, or when they can come with me. I often prefer to shoot alone but it's nice to bring someone who knows the area I'm shooting in better than I do, so i dont get lost. As far as critique goes, no one of my friends can offer much as far as compositions and technicalities, but every person i know tells me they love almost every picture I have, but pick out their favorites. I can name three people right now that have a picture i've taken as their background, it's flattering, but I know it's not very hard to impress them.

8. LokiZ

LokiZ TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    As long as I don't take pictures of my wife she supports me 100% lol

My DSLR was going to cost me too much so I waited for it to come down in price. So what did I do instead? Why I bought a $2000 video camera instead. Of course I had to have it in order to do the wedding I was asked to do. Yep she supports me.

I just hide the secret photos I take of her when she's not looking ;)

My daughter is my own personal model, let's take and set up shots of her anytime I want to.

My son points out when I use too much PP and is always saying the pics I took turned out the way they did thanks to the camera. (evidently they didn't look like that prior to the camera capturing the image.

My parents support me and also do there fair share of photographing.

Friends seem to like my work and back me or use me lol which ever works at the time.

For the most part it's all good.

9. neea

neea TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    110%. My boyfriend the most by far.
    I got a new lens for my birthday. He fronted the money for my XTi... even though it'll take 100 years to pay him back lol.
    He always has his eye out for places and things that would make for cool pictures.
    EDIT: it turns out he's got quite an eye and could be a great photographer if he spent time on it. at the wedding i was in he was taking pictures and was always one step ahead of the action. instead of pictures of the bride and grooms back like everyone else got he'd run and get them from in front. it was cute to watch to him. :lovey:

My brother often buys minor things I need as well. Things that are small and cheap.

My bfs mom is the most verbal. Often a little over the top telling me I could easily ask $500 for a picture... when I'd be happy with $50 :). She must be seeing something I'm not because I definatley know I'm not that good yet.

The rest of my family makes 'oh my god' comments when they see my new and very expensive equipment. Although they're probably thankful that I'm investing instead of just spending because they all know that this is what I want to do the rest of my life.

10. Snyder

Snyder TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I really dont care what my parents think, they kinda supported my videography I did in highschool then I went on to full time photography after words. They just dont like me doing all the dangerous crazy stuff I do to get my shot. I dunno about you guys but I love explosions and bullets flying those are the best action photos.

11. My wife is very supportive, but I have to admit I'm still disappointed. She allows me to buy whatever gear I want, but that's largely due to the fact that we're both successful and can pretty much buy anything we want. She also appreciates how much my photography means to me, and likes it that I'm happy. She thinks it's ok that I have a camera with me EVERYWHERE. Most importantly, she's generous with time. Like I said, money is not the problem, but subsequently finding the time is. So when I say "hey, I need an afternoon of shooting this weekend, please take care of the kids" she is very understanding.

However, I have a photoblog, and I post an image nearly daily. This has been going on for two years now. I also print images. But not once does she ever comment on them in any way. I put my creativity on display, and I have great rapport with the people here and in other communities, but there is no involvement from anyone in my family about my creative efforts. Both my parents have the link to my site - and my father spends his whole day online - but none of them check out my work, or have any opinion about it. These are not people who are shy about expressing feelings or thoughts, btw - they just genuinely lack a creative bone.

So yes, it is frustrating some times that I can't get that creative support, the artistic conversation, that might push me or challenge me.

12. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The kids moan and groan and call me a "paparazza" (I have at least managed to teach the the correct gender in Italian, plus the SINGULAR of that word - which is at least something), call me an "invader into their beings" - but love to have a mother who can produce a forgotten passport kind of photo within 10 minutes, without making them pay or having them cycle to the neighbouring town to get their photo taken at a photographer's studio ;).

When out visiting places, my husband is learning to get more patient, but he still clearly has the aura of "Oh no!" around him when once again he has to wait for me. His comments about my photography ends with "nice, all really nice". He can rave about that colleague at work who also has photography as his hobby and what wonderful photos that colleague takes, and how well he prepares them and how much time he takes out to get them and how brilliant the results are --- all of which makes me think "Right-o, I am mean average against that WONDERFUL colleague then, o-kaaayyy!" and say out loud: "Just my words: Good photography requires TIME. TIME is crucial. You need to previsualise, to be there, to prepare your photo, it all takes TIME!" Not sure if he again ascribes my words to that OTHER photographer he knows only?

So yes, he holds the makeshift reflector when asked, but I have never really heard him say that I produce good work. For "Nice, really nice" is not the same. Challenged with it, he will invariably reply: "But I say your photos are nice, don't I?" Sometimes I think he doesn't really get it...