Photography and Your Family

I'm new, but I'll hop in. :)

My wife is 100% supportive as well. Even now that I'm making the jump into shooting models, she's cool with everything. She's even plenty patient and doesn't mind hanging around while I wait for the light to change, people to move and the like. Now if I could only get her and my daughter to pose for me. :)

My family has been supportive of my creative endeavors as long as I can remember. Mother, Father, brothers sisters. Wife is still supportive even after nearly 25 years. She finds seminars and classes for me and plans my trips. The kids have always loved my work and the grand children are following suit. I'm very fortunate. Although I am so lucky, I must admit, I'd trade it all for a little more..

I must say my mom has been great with my photography and film. I am usually at school every day until at least 6 or 7 in my film class working on w/e and this includes weekends. As of yet she hasn't been complaining... Of course when I want to buy something new I have to convince her that spending $500 more will help me earn money (more money to be "wasted" on gear to help me earn more money.....) I'm glad she doesn't know everything I buy..... "$100 for that backpack?!?!?!?!?!? Don't you have a lot of bags already?!?!?" "Yes mom but you see, bags are to photographers as shoes are to women."

My gf has also been very supportive of me. She doesn't have a problem with me shooting other models or when I randomly stop to take a picture and she goes 10 feet before realizing I'm gone. As much as I think she hates when I go on and on about technical stuff or what gear I want does I bet it's a turn on ;) hehe

My husband sold his Firebird and his gocart to buy me my camera. That was last December. But it was only recently that he has exxpressed any real interest in what I am doing or has given me praise. Used to be like Lafoto says, yeah... that's cool. Everything was cool. LOL
But then just the other day he called me from work to ask for my flickr address because he wanted to show a coworker what I can do. I was like Oh really! That was the highest compliment right there. :)

My kids are only 1 and 3 but you can tell how they feel! My three year old will stop and do whatever face, look, position, etc that I tell him no matter what he is doing. (psst... ocasionally I offer him chocolate, shhh!)
But my daughter is 1 and she HATES it! She hardly will ever even look at me when I have my camera out. So sick of it! Just see here...

Mom are you serious with this camera again!

kiddingmerad.jpg
and then here she is putting my lens cap on the camera!
jaceycapbw.jpg

Well, my mother got me into photography at age 11 and a little later into the National Association of Photographic Art and professional work...so my immediate family was very supportive. My wife waxes in both directions....She does not like me spending money on equipment, but she does want photos of kids, grandson, travel, weddings etc. She has not seen much of my professional work because it is in formats that do not jive with home equipment, and she is more interested in direct family related shots in any event.

My daughter is a talented artist, but not a photographer, which frustrates me somewhat but she is supportive. I bought my son a camera to contribute to his rehabilitation, which I am happy that he uses, despite his limited skill.

skieur

My husband is just wonderful about it. He was the one who saw how much I enjoyed photographing everything especially our children and suggested I get a DSLR. Some times I think he may regret it when I tell him I want something new. He's a very gadget smart person so even though he isn't into photography like I am I feel like I can discuss it with him and he understands.
The baby has to go with me, but he has never once said no when I ask for him to watch our son.
My kids I think love it, even though they are just 2 1/2 and 5 months. My son loves when I bring out the camera. Some times he will drag me over to my camera bag shattering on about "Pictures Mommy, pictures!"
I love sending photo's to my Mom and Father in Law. My Mom is just my mom and she enjoys them, my FIL has been into photography since he was in HS so I love his feedback.

My brother just doesn't get it, and constantly chides me when I try to mention anything similar to photography. But then again, that's what older brothers do.

My parents are both equally supportive. I think they're pretty glad that I've finally found myself a hobby... and that I'm sticking with it. As for purchases... I still haven't made very many, but I've gone through two cameras in the past 8 months, and I know that annoys them a bit.

my family is very supportive, the like the pictures (most of the time).

Well, I only started a week ago, but meh.

I decided to go for a Camera for my Birthday, and being 14, my parents don't usually spend that much on me for my Birthday. (Understandable). Even though I paid half, it's still expensive. So kudos to them with that. My Dad also bought me a 2gb card, gave me all his old lenses and all his cleaner stuff, his tripod etc. And my sister let's me take pictures of her! So yeah, my family are pretty supportive.

My brother is interested in photography. He even quit his job to do that. I hardly see him at home. My parents can't understand him, sometimes oppose him. It is too hard to pursue your art life which can bring money to you.

I can't do a good Baltimore accent in the written form, but imagine one to this:

"Yer gonna crop out all that sky stuff though, right??"

OMG! Don't say that!!!!! :lmao::lmao:

I grew up in Baltimore County... I *HATE* Baltimore accents... they sound so stupid...I cringe when I hear the news....

That said, I try my best not to talk like that (for instance, I saw "wah-ter" not "wooter" for water), but I am sure I have some issues as well...

"Hey Hon, let's go to the oh-shon... better make sure you bring a couple dah-wers for the tunnel!"

It burns, it burns, stop it!!!!!

I live in the cornfields of Northern Harford Co now, right on the border of PA... but my studio is in Northern Baltimore Co.

About my family being supportive... mine are incredibly supportive.

I remember when I started my first business (not photography related), my husband and I had huge fights... absolutely humongous fights... but after I made a success out of it, he backed off... When I said that I was goin to start a photography business, he didn't even flinch - yep, he was cool with it becaue he knew I wasn't a slacker, and turned profit with my businesses easily.

Now, he questions nothing. I told him I am buying the D3, and he said, "good"... we went to go look at a horse this weekend, and I told him the price ($8,500 cash) and he said - okay! So I'm buying our third horse! lololol!

lol! He's VERY supportive....

As far as the rest of my family - my parents do brag on their daughter... it's pretty neat... :blushing:

I have to pay my children to let me take their pictures, though... here they are...

brat2.jpg

My husband is so supportive. I know he gets tired of seeing so many sometimes and gets agitated because I get mad at my (non) workflow habits and everything is everywhere on his new computer! But once in a while I will get a nice email from him because he showed someone at work my website and they were all raving about what they saw That's always nice too! It gets me the referrals I do work for (I dont work otherwise). My parents don't have internet, so they never see my work- just the ones I mail to them of my 1 year old.

Oh- JodieO. I love love love your work! You have the business, eye, quality and taste that I love and strive for with childrens photography!! But-you are much better. Kudos! I have bookmarked your site.

Most reactions

Back