Photography Assingment need suggestions

Warrior

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am in college and taking photography. I need some help. I just got a new assignment and it is to take picutes of your dreams. I uderstand it an all but i am totally stumped. I just havent seen anything worthwhile or good enough that the professor would like.
Here is what the professor told us:
Dont spend your time thinking; spend it looking. Make strong compositions that use the entire frame take visual chances.
dont just photograph fog and gloom, or a friend doing something strange, and be satisfied. keep your eyes open to things that are special to you. you want your photographs to be personal, complex and intriguing. look for juxtapositions that add up to more than the sume of thier parts. think intuitively rather than logically. strech your imagination as far as it will go.

I have been looking and trying not to think. I just havent found anything that great and cant think of anything.
Any suggestions? Please help

Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like this is something that nobody can help you will...you just have to do it. Maybe you are over thinking it...trying to find something to please your professor. From the sounds of it...there is no wrong answer.

Just go and find something, anything, and shoot it. Try to be creative, as that seems to be the assignment.

I guess it depends on exactly what he told you. One way I would interpret your assignment is what are you goals in life that you dream of? Do you dream of being a travel photographer? Perhaps take a picture of a young child browing a National Geographic with a look of awe on their face. Dream of being a photojounalist? Perhaps contact one and see if you can do some pics of them and their achievements or some action shots. Dream of finding the love of your life? Perhaps a still life of some roses and candles.

get bored, it'll turn your logic off and your creative side on

the interesting thing about dreams is that they're the environment you've perceived or thought about or seen in pictures, but only certain key elements that for some reason stuck with you subconsciously, these key elements forming a totally dynamic imaginative environment that can make you comfortable, feel weird, excited, or scared

I did an assignment like this once. I ended up shooting through a piece of glass and on the glass i wrote in scribbles all of my thoughts. It looked pretty neat with the image in the back and all the writing upfront.. I also tried to blur the forground with the writing and just focus the camera on the subject so the words were still legible but not the focus of the shot.

You have to come up with your own ideas for a project like this but i just i hope that would help your thoughts.. get the creative juices flowing!

good luck!

n---->:p

Warrior said:
. I just havent seen anything worthwhile or good enough that the professor would like.

the point is not to find something the professor would like. In fact, it sounds like he wants you to figure out what YOU like. what makes you tick. so what if it's an oil spill on wet pavement. he wants you to explore.

Well, I haven't done an assignment or even shot anything in a long time, but my two cents?:

You could try to interpret your actual sleeping dreams and do a shot on that. Like, just take whatever you dream of tonight and pick something form that dream and shoot. It'll narrow your choices or force you to focus on something if you can't think of anything else.

Shooting something that you dream of/goals (like zedin said) is a good idea too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back