Photography Book

g2k556

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hey guys, i just ordered my camera, and it should be here sometime next week, i can't wait. i was wondering if you guys could recommend a book for me to learn a bit about photography. thanks, Gavin.

I've been collecting info on photography books from the various other threads regarding the same question so here are some of the answers.

By far the most recommended book has been:
Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson

Here are more that have been recommended:
Basic Photography by Langford 8th edition
Advanced Photography by Langford 7th edition
The Digital Photography book vols 1 and 2 by Scott Kelby
The Photography Bible by Daniel Lezano
How to see creatively by Bryan Peterson
The New Manual of Photography, by John Hedgecoe
Ansel Adams Basic Photography Series

Understanding Exposure and scot kelby's books are a good start
The Kelby books are very much not technical in their writing or approach and are more geared to helping get out out of auto modes and into manual modes via giving you a good general set of settings to use to get shots - not with full explinations that you will start wanting later on, but with a good aim to getting out into manual modes.
The Langford books are not cheap, but they are detailed and well written - though get the latest editions are these contain digital SLR as well as traditional SLR.

thanks a bunch. very helpful :D

I would also suggest any of the books by John Hedgecoe (sp?) like the New Manual of Photography. Well laid out and covers all aspects for a beginner.

One book I have found helpful is Creative Exposure Control, by Les Meehan. It's pretty biased towards film though, so some of it won't apply to digital, but it's still good stuff to know.

I'll only comment on books that I have actually read, I refer back to this book more often than any other (but I don't have a very large collection of photography books, so take that with a grain of salt).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back