Photography books

DocFrankenstein

Clinically Insane?
Reaction score
Please recommend me some good ones.

I am looking for a book or two which covers:
Terminology of photography
Composition "rules"
And a bit of every technique out there. Studio photography, candid, macro...

I don't want the very basic photo book, but I'd like something intermediate I guess.

Any suggestions?

Umm...I like

The Photo book, its got all about the techniques, and most of it is about diff photographers.

Either that or "Dummies guid to photography" not calling you a dummy, but these books are always worth buying!

For composition look into "design" books. They are covering all of the visual arts, but it's easy to apply to your photography too.

ksmattfish said:
For composition look into "design" books. They are covering all of the visual arts, but it's easy to apply to your photography too.
Thank you. It's a very valuable piece of advice.

I guess i'll start with dummies book and then see.

Try John Hedgecoe's New Manual of Photography. This book covers all of the things you are mentioning. Great read!

Doc,
You didn't mention if you were a digital or film guy. I would recommend Hedgecoe's "35mm Photography". It covers the basics, nominclature, film, filters, DOF, and much much more in a small very understandable hardback modestly priced at around $13 and tax. Found mine at our local Barnes & Noble.

I'm a digital guy. BUT I'll soon (next year) get a film body too.

hey,
just wondering does anyone have a link that goes through the basic composition rules, like the rule of thirds and sunny16, i do know a lot of them but then you can always learn more

DocFrankenstein said:
I'm a digital guy. BUT I'll soon (next year) get a film body too.

That's what is so good about anything John Hedgecoe writes. He covers most aspects of photography, especially the newest technology.

Hedgecoe? Get real. That guy has been publishing the same book under different titles for 30 years and from what I heard he wasn't that good a lecturer either ( and he doesn't take very good pictures in my opinion).
Check out the Focal Press instead. They have a wide range of books on most topics and a web site somewhere...
Try Langford's Basic/Advanced Photography books for the technical stuff.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back